Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using An Array Of Profiles For A Sweep

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1006 Views, 6 Replies

Using An Array Of Profiles For A Sweep

Hello,

I am currently making a wall hosted radiator family, part of the detail on the radiator is a little vent on top. This has been done using a void sweep which works fine. The only issue is that the family needs to be parametric, but when I change the depth of the radiator the sweep does not properly work (see below images)

Model with parametric depth, the vent does not follow the depth parameterModel with parametric depth, the vent does not follow the depth parameterInitial model that looks fineInitial model that looks fine

To fix this I thought to use an array of the profile used for the sweep, this would work as follows:

Create a profile to be used for the arrayCreate a profile to be used for the arrayuse parametric array to use profile x amount of times depending on depth of radiatoruse parametric array to use profile x amount of times depending on depth of radiator

unfortunately i'm finding no way to use an array for a profile on a sweep.

Does anyone know if this is possible or have any other methods of doing this?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Array sweep profile? No can do.  You can Array the Model Element created by a Profile though.  Why not go that route?  If at all.  Do you really need that LOD?  

Message 3 of 7
ToanDN

You could array a face based void family nested on the radiator family. Do you really need to model to this level of details? If you have many instances in the project it would affect the performance of the model.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

okay good idea, I think this makes sense to me, i'll give this a shot.

is LOD level of detail?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

This model will be in my project 55+ times I believe. 

In regards to needing a certain level of detail I am really unsure. I am completely new to Revit as of February with no background or experience in construction. I have not done anything related to this in education so am not qualified to do it, hence why I have been asking you guys the most basic questions on here for the past few months. Everything I know is self tough through YouTube tutorials and this forum. So what i'm trying to say is with no guidance, help from a superior, or other peoples work to compare to, I don't know how much detail I should or shouldn't be going into. I am very much so still in the dark and in the deep end with this.  

Lets say hypothetically, if you where to do a job for a client how much detail would you go into before the project is deemed finished? Also what are the final tangibles that have been produced for the client?

My apologies if this went a little off topic, I am just really curious as I have been in the dark with this for so long and can't seem so see the light at the end of the tunnel.  

Message 6 of 7
barthbradley

LOD is LEVEL OF DETAIL. And yes, that LOD unnecessary -- and unwise.   Besides that, it probably won't even be distinguishable as soon as Thin Lines is turned off.  Probably look like one big fat black line.   

...you know, keep in mind the scale and extents of the view when you are modeling. Are you actually going to be showing an extreme closeup of this radiator on your plans?  I doubt it.  Probably be seen in a view which shows the entire wall or room -- if it's "seen" at all.  

Message 7 of 7
bin
Advisor

I suggest you just draw some model lines on the top of it. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report