Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to override CAD layer lineweights in RCP - Revit 2020.2

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mmesifa
512 Views, 13 Replies

Unable to override CAD layer lineweights in RCP - Revit 2020.2

I am working on a project where we have CAD floor plans that have been used throughout our side of the project. I have sets of Demolition plans and RCPs, and Construction plans, finish plans, enlarged plans, and RCPs. Throughout my time on the project, I've been instructed to just use the CAD lines because it's too much effort to model the walls in Revit when we already have all wall lines in decently organized CAD files.

In the plans, finish plans, and enlarged plans, I have been able to override the walls and every layer to something specific. I have wall layers set to a line weight of 4, and a color of 192-192-192. In the RCPs however, the only thing I seem to be able to override is the color of the lines. Despite the field for overriding the line weight being enabled, changing the line weight does nothing for the RCPs. 

I need to be able to add some sort of hierarchy to these drawings, specifically strengthening the lineweight of the walls and reducing it of casework and other things. Any ideas? Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
syman2000
in reply to: mmesifa

Is your CAD file set to bylayer or user override the color and lineweight of CAD file? If it is override in CAD file, you won't allow to override it in Revit. So you want make sure CAD file is set to bylayer and no override to ensure Revit able to change it.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 3 of 14
mmesifa
in reply to: syman2000

The CAD file is set to bylayer for the lineweights. A few of the layers have overrides, but those layers are hidden in the Revit file. The lines are able to be overridden in the plans and finish plans I have set up, just not the RCP.

Message 4 of 14
syman2000

I not seeing the issue from my end. Unless you have CAD file you want to share.

syman2000_0-1640020282191.png

syman2000_1-1640020331833.png

Message 5 of 14
ryley.g.h

Is the CAD file on the actual RCP view, or is it on the underlay view? You usually can't do much to an underlay view's graphics, check to make sure your underlay is set to "none" to see if this is the case.

ryleygh_0-1640020370136.png

Message 6 of 14
mmesifa
in reply to: ryley.g.h

This seems to be the issue. What can I do to work around this? I do need the CAD file displayed. I can override the linework with LW, but I'll have to make a new line type to match the exact line style I need and click each individual line, but that seems like a tedious solution.

Message 7 of 14
syman2000

How I do this is to set your CAD as show by current view only. Then you copy the CAD link to RCP and you will have control settings for RCP. If you rely on underlay, you won't have much control.

Message 8 of 14
ryley.g.h

Depends, if you want the same CAD on the RCP as you have on the floor plan, select the CAD link and cntl+c, open the RCP and press the paste drop down, select paste aligned to current view. If you want a different CAD for the RCP, just link a new CAD file, and be sure to check the "Current view only" option in the lower left corner of the link window. Either way, set the underlay to "none" so you don't have lines on top of lines with different colours.

Message 9 of 14
mmesifa
in reply to: syman2000

How do I check if the CAD is linked as current view only, or how do I change it to it? Do I have to relink the CAD file?

I tried copying the CAD from a plan to the RCP but it does not show up when the underlay is turned off.

Message 10 of 14
mmesifa
in reply to: ryley.g.h

I turned off the underlay, but when I try to paste aligned to the current view, nothing shows up.

Message 11 of 14
barthbradley

Phasing?  Are you overriding the Line Weights/Patterns/Colors under Phasing Graphic Overrides?

Phasing Graphic Overrides.png

...oops. Nevermind. You're talking about CAD Walls not Revit Walls.  My bad. 

Message 12 of 14
ryley.g.h

Few trouble shoot things to try:

1) Do a selection dragging up and to the left of the entire area. Press the filter button to see if the CAD is there. If CAD is not there, go to step 4

2) If CAD is there uncheck everything but the CAD and press ok.

3) Make sure the CAD is set to "foreground"

4) Open view template, imported categories, make sure the CAD is checked on, open the drop down and make sure the other lines are checked to on.

5) If still nothing, force show all worksets through the viewtemplate, and repeat steps.

6) turn off roofs in the view template (sometimes the roofs are annoying on really large buildings)

ryleygh_0-1640032879608.pngryleygh_1-1640032897996.png

Message 13 of 14
syman2000

If the CAD link shows up in 3d view, then the CAD is not set to current view. When you link in CAD, you have to make sure you have this checked on.

syman2000_0-1640033401314.png

Message 14 of 14
ToanDN

@mmesifa wrote:

I turned off the underlay, but when I try to paste aligned to the current view, nothing shows up.

You have to remove and reinsert the CAD in with Current View Only box ticked.  It is a now view dependent so you can copy paste aligned  from plan to RCP and vice versa.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators