Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open project from within Revit.

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
4085 Views, 8 Replies

Unable to open project from within Revit.

I am working on a project in Revit 2015 that is a shared project on our local network. I am having issues with opening the central file from within Revit like I'm supposed to. I open Revit 2015 and the main screen opens and I click "Open" under the "Projects" category, search for the central file on our network drive, and then click "Open" with "Create New Local" checked as normal. I then click "Overwrite Existing File" as we're supposed to when working on this project and I get an error message that reads, "Revit could not create local file from 'our network drive file path'. This could be due to a network problem. You can try again or contact technical support". It also won't open and gives me the same error message if I go to the "R" dropdown menu and attempt to open from there.

The kicker here is that I can go into Windows Explorer and find the same exact Revit project file and double click on it from the network drive and it will open in Revit 2015 no problem. I am even able to sync with central.

I know it doesn't seem like a huge deal, but it's rather inconvenient...and I don't feel comfortable opening files solely from Windows Explorer.  This is the only shared (multi-user) project file that does this. All of the other ones will open within Revit and in Windows Explorer fine.

We've tried to go through what we know to figure out why this is happening:

- Checked network connections - computer is connected to network and has access to all drives on network

- I have admin credentials

- Project file is NOT read-only

- Permissions on file are 'full control'

- Can open up the file without creating a new local (aka detaching from central) but this defeats the purpose of trying to open the file...

- Tried to audit the file via open prompt and still had no luck opening it via Revit-->Open

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
kmfuhrman
in reply to: Anonymous

Maybe check the Worksets to make sure they are set to be "Editable", and that Shared Levels and Grids is on?

Kimberly Fuhrman, LEED AP BD+C
Freelance Architectural Technologist

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: kmfuhrman

Typically, we don't make our worksets editable for our project files... Too many hands in the pot, so to speak. Since this project is only being used by two people, I went and opened it via Windows Explorer - made Workset 1 editble. The 'Shared Levels and Grids' was visable,opened, and not currently editable - changed it to editable.

I synced with central, closed the project, and attempted to re-open the project from within Revit and I still got the same error message.

Message 4 of 9
kmfuhrman

Are you able to open the central file directly, and save it as a new central file? Then create new local files...just a thought.

Kimberly Fuhrman, LEED AP BD+C
Freelance Architectural Technologist

Message 5 of 9
ToanDN

Hava you tried to delete the old local file, and/or point the local file saving path to another folder?  Can you post a screenshot or type in here the full path of the local file saving path?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: kmfuhrman

Opened the file from Windows Explorer, did 'save as' as a new central file to my desktop. Tried to open from the  'open' command in Revit.

openrevit.JPG

Opened as usual w/ overwriting existing file :

newlocal.JPG

Still got the error message when opening the new central file from my desktop:

Revit Error Message.JPG

Can still double click on the file on my desktop and it will open as long as I have 2015 running already. Repeated the process and saved a new central file in the current trouble files location. Got the same error message. 

Message 7 of 9
ToanDN

Can you post the full path of the local folder?  I suspect it is longer than 256 characters, which may cause the problem that you are describing.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

After months of testing ideas, we found the solution for this problem file. We still don't know why it happened for only this particular project...but we found a solution (for the timebeing, anyway). This version of Revit 2015 was sending files to C:\Projects for the 'default path for user files' rather than the typical C:\Data path and we created a new local file. Was able to open from within Revit vs. having to open via Windows Explorer! No frustrating error messages. 

Message 9 of 9
archingen

I had the same issue. Ended up deleting all of my local files and it fixed the problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators