Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to create a 2-panel window with a sloped top

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
james
1085 Views, 35 Replies

Trying to create a 2-panel window with a sloped top

I'm trying to build a 2-panel window with a sloped top.  It uses a pair of nested individual window panels with sloping tops and I thought it'd be easy enough to assign a short-side and a tall-side height parameters and then extract the middle height parameter.  I've never used Reporting parameters before, and expected that this would be a perfect use.  I can get the reference planes and lines to flex perfectly, but cannot find a way to link the Panel Height_Mid reporting parameter to the linked window panel geometry or to another parameter that could be linked to the geometry.

Any suggestions?  Is there a better, more simpler way to go about this?

Capture.JPG

35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36
barthbradley
in reply to: james

@james wrote:

Thanks.  In your version, how are you controlling the short and tall sides?  These need to be parametric so the modelers can size the windows appropriately.

They are parametric. What do you mean by "size the windows appropriately"? Explain how the family should operate. 

Message 22 of 36
james
in reply to: barthbradley

Window should function parametrically as any other window- such that the modeler is able to enter height and width as necessary to meet the design requirements.  Width of each panel and short-side and tall-side all need to be parametric to fit unique situations.  

Message 23 of 36
barthbradley

Did you flex the family I sent you? In other words, try different Family Types or create new ones?  The darn thing flexes beautifully! 

WDW Sizing.png

Message 24 of 36
barthbradley

I'm outta here. I've got a planet to save and I need to get my cape on.  Good luck to you on your endeavor - whatever it is.  

Swoosh!

Superman.png

Message 25 of 36
james

Yes, I did flex it.  And I even see in your screen shot that the PANEL HEIGHT_TALL results in a 19'-2 51/128" height, even with a 12' value.

Also, as you flex the PANEL widths, the height jumps around.  

Thanks for your help, you obviously know much more than me, but no, this doesn't appear to flex well at all.

Message 26 of 36
ToanDN

Try this 2022 family.

Only 4 parameters you need to change to adjust the window and their nested panels.

Revit_WrucQ1TUNl.gif

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 27 of 36
barthbradley

@james wrote:

Yes, I did flex it.  And I even see in your screen shot that the PANEL HEIGHT_TALL results in a 19'-2 51/128" height, even with a 12' value.

WTH are you talking about? The 19'-2 51/128" is the calculated height of the right window's Height_Tall that is required for the right window to have the exact same slope as the left window.      

Message 28 of 36
barthbradley

I think I see what you are talking about. Your windows aren't constrained properly.  Easy fix. Align and lock them.  

WDW NOT CONSTRAINED.pngWDW NOT CONSTRAINED2.png

Message 29 of 36
james
in reply to: ToanDN

Boy, I sure was hopeful!  Your parameters looked so nice and clean, but when I plug them in my window isn't the right shape.  Not sure what's different with the elevation you showed.Capture.JPG

Message 30 of 36
ToanDN

1. Watch the GIF (I flexed all possible conditions, and none show a crooked shape)

2. Redownload my family, open and flex it.

3. Replicate the parameters and formula to your family (Did you use the same formula for Panel Height Mid?)

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 31 of 36
james

Dude, appreciate your help.  I don't need a fixed angle- don't think I ever asked for that.  I need parameters for a short side height and a tall side height- the angle will be whatever it is.

Thanks.

@james - this post has been edited due to Community Rules & Etiquette violation.

Message 32 of 36
barthbradley

Message 33 of 36
james
in reply to: ToanDN

That did it!  Discovered I was misreading your width parameter as panel width, not overall width.  Nice and simple and you're very patient with me.  Thanks so much! 

Message 34 of 36
Alfredo_Medina

@james wrote:

Sorry, not sure what you're suggesting.

What I mean is that it's not necessary to know the intermediate height. 

This works (see below) and without formulas, just geometry. Again, why do you need to know the mid height?

Alfredo_Medina_0-1700090962260.png

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 35 of 36
james

I wonder what Community Rules you think I violated by expressing how I felt?  Certainly wasn't profane or a personal attack.  I didn't threaten or harass- so what'd I do?  Doesn't really matter, but just seems as unnecessary as your original tone.  I appreciated your attempt to help, but was entirely put off by your sarcastic and dismissive attitude toward me and my questions.  Better luck engaging the community next time!  🙂 

Message 36 of 36
barthbradley

@james wrote:

I appreciated your attempt to help, but was entirely put off by your sarcastic and dismissive attitude toward me and my questions.  

Can you point out which reply of mine was seemingly "sarcastic and dismissive " towards you?  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators