Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to create a 2-panel window with a sloped top

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
james
1080 Views, 35 Replies

Trying to create a 2-panel window with a sloped top

I'm trying to build a 2-panel window with a sloped top.  It uses a pair of nested individual window panels with sloping tops and I thought it'd be easy enough to assign a short-side and a tall-side height parameters and then extract the middle height parameter.  I've never used Reporting parameters before, and expected that this would be a perfect use.  I can get the reference planes and lines to flex perfectly, but cannot find a way to link the Panel Height_Mid reporting parameter to the linked window panel geometry or to another parameter that could be linked to the geometry.

Any suggestions?  Is there a better, more simpler way to go about this?

Capture.JPG

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
barthbradley
in reply to: james

Reporting Parameters won't help you here, but you can Associate Instance Parameters (not Reporting Parameters) in the Nested Family to Parameters in the Host Family. Wouldn't that work?    

Message 3 of 36
james
in reply to: barthbradley

Without a complicated formula, how would I be able to calculate the PANEL HEIGHT_MID? It's so nice how the reporting parameter does it, but if I set the parameter to instance it locks the position of the reference line and doesn't flex.
Message 4 of 36
barthbradley

I'm looking at your Family now and I'm not clear what you want. Can you post any screenshots explaining? Your first one isn't helping?   

Message 5 of 36
james

Sorry, this is what I'm going for.  As designed, there are two nested windows each with a PANEL HEIGHT_SHORT and a PANEL HEIGHT_TALL instance parameters intended to be linked to parameters in the host family.  I can get the left and right side parameters to link, but can't find a way to extract the value shown in the PANEL HEIGHT_MID reporting parameter.

Capture.JPG

Message 6 of 36
barthbradley

@james wrote:
Without a complicated formula, how would I be able to calculate the PANEL HEIGHT_MID? It's so nice how the reporting parameter does it, but if I set the parameter to instance it locks the position of the reference line and doesn't flex.

... it isn't that complicated to find the middle height with the parameter values you have available.    

Trig4RA.png

Message 7 of 36
james

Guess it's all relative.  considering how easily I was able to extract the value with the reporting parameter, i figured there must be a tool I could use that'd help me avoid the geometry.  😉   I mean, obviously Revit knows what the value is supposed to be, so what's the right way to use it?

Seriously, is this the only way?  Hard to believe.

Message 8 of 36
Alfredo_Medina

Why do you need to know the height of the middle height anyway? All you need is the midpoint of the horizontal (base side of the triangle, which you have already set with equal-equal constraints. Can't you just model the window using that reference plane in the middle of the equal-equal constraint?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 9 of 36
barthbradley

This?

PANEL HEIGHT.png

Panel Ht 2.pngPanel Ht 3.png

Message 10 of 36
barthbradley

here...take a gander

Message 11 of 36

Hear those crickets, @Alfredo_Medina?   I think we lost the OP.  😉  

Message 12 of 36
james

Thanks, this is pretty impressive. These were the types of formulas I was hoping to avoid, though 😉 Are they really necessary? Is there really no way to extract the height, like with the reporting parameter?
Message 13 of 36
james
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Sorry, not sure what you're suggesting.

Message 14 of 36
barthbradley

@james wrote:
Thanks, this is pretty impressive. These were the types of formulas I was hoping to avoid, though 😉 Are they really necessary? Is there really no way to extract the height, like with the reporting parameter?

Reporting Parameter isn't going to help. What's the issue with adding 2 parameters?   It flexes correctly; doesn't it?  Or is that not what you want?  I'm confused.  What is it that you want? 

Message 15 of 36
james

No, you were able to accomplish what I wanted, I just can't believe that there isn't any way to extract the necessary dimensional value in a meaningful way so that it can be used in parameters.  Congratulations on the trigonometry, but I figured BIM software like this would be more dynamic.

Message 16 of 36
james

Darn it, looks like you made this in 2024? Stupid backwards incompatibility biting Autodesk's ass again. Our office just upgraded to 2023, no way are we updating to 2024 anytime soon. Thanks, anyway.
Message 17 of 36
ToanDN

You could create it as a curtain wall and edit profile.  The inner windows are also nested curtain walls assigned as panels.  It is easy whether you want 2 or 20 divisions, or more complex shapes.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 18 of 36
barthbradley

Easily enough to reproduce in 2023 since it only has 2 additional parameters. 😉 

Message 19 of 36
barthbradley

Here's something else:

Revit Formulas for "everyday" usage - Revit Forum

Make a hard-copy and keep it handy.  It'll be worth its weight in gold. 

Message 20 of 36
james

Thanks.  In your version, how are you controlling the short and tall sides?  These need to be parametric so the modelers can size the windows appropriately.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators