Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Editing Rough Opening/Frame of Sliding Door Family

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1262 Views, 9 Replies

Trouble Editing Rough Opening/Frame of Sliding Door Family

Hello! I am having trouble modeling a 3-sliding door family in Revit. I would like rough opening/frame of the entire family to adjust when the width of each door panel is modified. In other words, I created the family to have three panels, each 3' wide. I applied the door widths as instance parameters. When I load the family into my project and change the door width parameter to 4', all three sliding doors align as they are supposed to, but the rough opening/frame of the entire system does not expand accordingly. Please see attached photos and family model for reference. I would greatly appreciate your help!

Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

What about an "Overall Opening Width" Parameter and controlling the 3 Door Panels' "Width" Parameter via a Formula such as "=Overall Opening Width/3"?   If the Door Panels are Nested, their "Width" Parameter would need to be an Instance-kind in order for this approach to work. 

Message 3 of 10
barthbradley

I just look at your file. The main reason it's breaking is because your sweep paths aren't constrained to the Ref. Planes.  Align and Lock the end of the Sweep Path (e.g. its TIPS) to the Ref. Plane.  

Message 4 of 10
barthbradley

FWIW: Here's where I was going with first suggestion. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

@barthbradley 

Thank you so much for your first solution! I think that's a very elegant way to solve my issue. I'm still curious though, just for the sake of learning, how I would resolve my issue with the second solution you suggested. I went to my door frame's Sweep > Sketch Path to align and lock the tips of the sketch path to the reference plane, but I'm unsure how to do that. To my understanding, I have all three sides of the sketch path aligned and locked to their respective reference plane as shown in the picture attached. Would you mind showing me with pictures how you would lock the tips of the sketch path to the reference plane? Thank you so much!

Message 6 of 10
barthbradley

Sweep path 48.jpg

These points at the ends of the Sweep Path need to be Aligned and Locked to a Ref. Planes.  

Message 7 of 10
barthbradley

see attached. other issues resolved.  

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you for your response @barthbradley ! Perhaps I am still doing something wrong, but I aligned and locked those points to the reference planes and the family still doesn't perform the way it should. I think I will stick to your first solution and study the changes you made to the model. I appreciate all your help!

Message 9 of 10
barthbradley

Did you open the last RFA I sent you? I corrected several other issues in your original. Should work now.  It's a nice family too. Overall, well-constructed.  

WIDTH=12 FEET ! 

SGD48.jpg

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Oh I just saw it now! Thank you so much! Having these two examples is a great learning opportunity for me. I'll study these more in detail later today after work, but I tested both out and they work perfectly. I appreciate your time to help me out! Hope you have a wonderful rest of your day 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report