Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tread and Nosing Profiles

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1231 Views, 7 Replies

Tread and Nosing Profiles

I created a separate Nosing profile and Tread profile for the tread that I require.  I want the tread and nosing together to be 12 inches but in the staircase 1" of the nosing should overlap with the tread. But when I create a staircase each tread is created after the other instead of an offset overlap. how do I get this to work? what dimensions do I use for each or what parameters should I set in addition?  

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you specify a "Nosing Length"? 

...if you did, perhaps the Profile isn't Aligned and Locked to Ref. Planes. 

...If you want, you can post your file for us to examine. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Nosing length did not change anything on the stairs but when I changed the actual tread depth in the properties from 1' to 11" it worked fine and the problem is resolved. Thanks. Although I ran into a new problem now, if you know the solution let me know. I'm using a C-Channel stringer for the staircase and it doesn't clean up very well at the inside corners. What is the best method to model this?

Message 4 of 8
barthbradley

Yeah, that's an ugly issue. It's not the stringer or the settings -- it's just the way Revit joins inside stringers to landings.  

...if you have the room, you can change the shape your landing (e.g. add an extension/return) to make the stringers miter. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

well, what is the best method to address it? create a generic model? or ??

Message 6 of 8
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

well, what is the best method to address it? create a generic model? or ??

Make the stairs and landing separate components  -- not all in one.  But still, it's not going to miter or look mitered, if that's your are after.  How would it join in the field?   

Message 7 of 8
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

Nosing length did not change anything on the stairs but when I changed the actual tread depth in the properties from 1' to 11" it worked fine and the problem is resolved. Thanks. Although I ran into a new problem now, if you know the solution let me know. I'm using a C-Channel stringer for the staircase and it doesn't clean up very well at the inside corners. What is the best method to model this?

Yes the tread depth is the dimension from nosing to nosing, not from nosing to back of tread or to riser.

As for the stringer mitering, the outer stringer segment is longer so the sweep works, the inner segment is just too short for such profile to sweep properly.  I would use a simple rectangle profile for the stringer and use detail to show the C channel.

Message 8 of 8
barthbradley
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley wrote:

...if you have the room, you can change the shape your landing (e.g. add an extension/return) to make the stringers miter. 

This is what I'm describing...

C Channel.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report