Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toposurface fill invisible in section & elevation

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
PDSF
13608 Views, 32 Replies

Toposurface fill invisible in section & elevation

We have a toposurface that displays with grey, not very heavy cut lines and no fill pattern in all views which it is visible, i.e. sections, elevations and wall sections.  This obviously does not read properly.  I have scoured the forums and read many threads on this issue but still can't figure it out.  Based on what I've read I have tried the following:

• Overriding the "cut" properties of Topography (both Line and Pattern) in Visibility Graphics (view template)
  • Changed the properties of the toposurface from "Default Material" to "Earth"
  • Changed the "cut line weight" of Topography in Object Styles to 8 (heavy) and color is black
  • Confirmed that the "material" for Topography in Object Styles is "Site - Earth"
  • Confirmed that the fill pattern for Earth is, well, Earth
  • Confirmed that the section/elevation cut lines actually cut through the topography (they have to, the topo covers the entire site)
  • Confirmed that the "elevation of poche base" in Site Settings is set to 30' (a little deeper than our foundation)
  • Confirmed that the "section cut material" in Site Settings is set to Site - Earth

And probably a few more I can't recall.  None of the settings have made any difference.  If I select the topography in one of these views, I can see that the invisible fill is 30' deep.  But the cut lines are still grey and there is no hatch.  What am I missing?  And no, I can't post the Revit file.  It is almost 600MB and my boss would never allow me to post it anyway.  TIA for all suggestions.

32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
ToanDN
in reply to: PDSF

I  wanted to look at the template SA-CD-WALL SECTION but it does not exist in the file you attached.  below is what I have.

Capture.PNG

Message 22 of 33
PDSF
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes.  Those are the ones that exist in our default template and then get modified within each project.  But you make a good point.  I will reopen that "project" (which displays correctly) and see if I can find what it is that is different between it and the problem project.  Thanks.

Message 23 of 33
barthbradley

Is the Revit File you posted herein the same one that you are using in the project you posted a screenshot of above?  Is it Linked into the project?  The poche base in it is only -10 ft.  Change it and reload it.  Works like a charm.

Message 24 of 33
PDSF
in reply to: barthbradley

I know you are trying to help, but you haven't read everything I've written above.  It does not work.

Message 25 of 33
Avaris.

Did you make a new project with a standard template and just copied the toposurface over? If so, that won't help to figure out the problem. Please detach the original file and delete the elements you don't want to show us.

Message 26 of 33
PDSF
in reply to: Avaris.

OK, I did it.  It took some crunching (there were 400,000 elements in the model) but here it is.  There is a section view where you can see the topo, cut line grey, no "earth" fill.  If someone can figure out what is going on I would be very, very appreciative.  TIA.

Message 27 of 33
barthbradley

Set your Phase Filter to Show CompletTopoSection.png

Message 28 of 33
PDSF

That did it.  Thanks Barth!  Do you know why the behavior is this way?  "Show All" seems like a good box to check.

Now I will have to research phasing, which we have never touched because we do only new construction 🙂

Message 29 of 33
barthbradley

Did you by chance bring this into your project as an xml through Site Designer?  

Message 30 of 33
PDSF

Yes I did.

Message 31 of 33
barthbradley

Unless you choose another phase, the default placement phase will be Existing.

Site XML.png

Message 32 of 33
PDSF

I did see that at the time but didn't think anything of it.  The real question is, why does an "existing" topo display grey when this is set to Show All?  It doesn't make sense to me.

Also, update for anyone who might see this:  it makes more sense to set the topo to New Construction and then you don't need to mess with each template.

Message 33 of 33
glenn100

I had the same issue, so I was reading this thread.  Nothing I did solved the issue, but as I was going back through Massing&Site> Model Site Settings I realized I had typed in 100' instead of -100'.  Sure enough solved the problem.  I feel like a fool, but what can I say.  Good Luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report