Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timber Joists Cutting Overlapping Volume From Wall

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1780 Views, 11 Replies

Timber Joists Cutting Overlapping Volume From Wall

I'm trying to design a very basic floor using timber joists. I'm adding the joists using a beam system.

I'd like the joists to penetrate the walls of the building similar to these links, here and here. However I can't seem to achieve this as the joist is stopping at the interior face of the wall as shown below:

Cross section.PNG

The make up for the wall is shown below:

Wall_Structure.PNG

Is there a way to do this using a beam system?

I've seen that there is a architectural floor which has a joist built into it, but I can't find how to vary the width of each individual joist or spacing between joists. I'd like to end up with a floor plan showing the individual joists and can't see how this can be done using the architectural floor option.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cbcarch
in reply to: Anonymous

Use Join Geometry, select the Floor and Join to the Wall.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: cbcarch

It won't let me select the beam system, or an individual joist.

Even if I select the beam system or joist first, when I click join, it asks "FIRST pick: Select solid geometry to be joined" and I can't select the system or joists.

Message 4 of 12
cbcarch

Yes--Sorry, I misunderstood a bit.

-You can't join geometry with a beam system, but you can with a floor.

-You try this: create an in-place Generic Model Void and use Cut Geometry in the wall to make a "beam pocket", and then extend the joists/beam system into the beam pocket.

-You could also use a Reveal to cut the Beam Pocket, then extend the joists into it.

Cliff B. Collins
Message 5 of 12
ToanDN

You can right click on the end blue grip of a beam and disallow join.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Just a few questions:

"...create an in-place Generic Model Void..."

Can you give me a quick pointer on how to do this? I'm not sure where to start.

"...extend the joists/beam system into the beam pocket..."

Weirdly, the beam system seems to be extending into the wall (see image below), but the beams aren't actually extending to the end of the grid, just stopping at the wall.

Framing_System.PNG 

Message 7 of 12
cbcarch

Void: 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/create-a-void-family-to-cut-elements-in-proj...

However--

-The Reveal may be an easier/faster way to cut a beam pocket in the wall.

-Joist extensions-- try editing the footprint sketch of the beam system further into the wall.

-The joists in the beam system likely have an "extension" property, try changing it to make them extend further.

Cliff B. Collins
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Wall is now plastering around the cut out. 

I give up....

Coutout.PNG

Message 9 of 12
ToanDN

See attached.  I have no issue doing what you are trying to do.  1st image shows the beam system and 2nd image shows the holes in the wall created the the beam system.  No manual punching holes needed.

Download 2019 file from this link:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkhFRSSD5VPngvkQENqX9qCr-HjnxQ

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Toan Nguyen
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Yeah that's exactly what I'm after. 

If you have a chance, would you be able to save that file down to 2018? I'm not quite up to date with Revit 2019 yet....

Thanks for all your help on this.

Message 11 of 12
ToanDN

Here is the trick: use a cast in place concrete beam and change the material to wood timber. It will allow join with walls and other elements. You may try go edit the original wood beam and change model behaviour to concrete. It may work but I haven't tried so I can't confirm. But the 1st trick is what I did to the sample above.

Toan Nguyen

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Got it working now with your first solution! Many thanks again for your help.

I think I'd rather go down the route of your original proposal as it seems the more correct way to do it. I think changing it too and from beam types feels a bit too much like you're tricking Revit which might lead to issues further down the line.

Complete.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators