Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Within Scaled Block in DWG Not Scaling???

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
davidwilliamedwards
653 Views, 5 Replies

Text Within Scaled Block in DWG Not Scaling???

Linking in a DWG file that has a few annotation block in them. It appears that the text in such a block is not scaled at all and stays at the 1:1 scale factor size. 

Can anyone confirm this or offer a workaround?

David William Edwards

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

DWG data has no "intelligence" in Revit. Only "workaround" is to create your own text in Revit.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6

A scaling factor is considered "intelligence"??? Pulease!!! This is a bug.

I guess "transitioning" to Revit is not what Autodesk is really after, but a complete break from AutoCAD(?)

David William Edwards

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
Message 4 of 6

It's not a bug.  For text to "scale" correctly, it needs to be annotative.  And I don't believe text that's imported into Revit from CAD stays annotative, but I could be wrong.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: rosskirby

@rosskirby wrote:

It's not a bug.  For text to "scale" correctly, it needs to be annotative.  And I don't believe text that's imported into Revit from CAD stays annotative, but I could be wrong.

Yes, Ross, you are not wrong, you are absolutely correct. And I agree in that this a not a bug. Why should I expect that the text in an imported .dwg behaves the same as a native text in Revit? Just because AutoCAD and Revit are under the same company? That does not make sense. Different programs are made in different ways, and even though most programs have tools for importing or exporting data, that does not mean that we are exporting or importing features as well.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 6

I don't expect the text to behave the same, I expect a linked drawing to simply plot the same. I just thought this was a pretty simple item that all the AutoCAD clones I know of get correct. I understand the differences between SHX and Truetype Revit's lack of a wide polyline, hatches that turn solid, but we're talking simple blocks with text. I will always consider something like this a bug.

A lot of firms have thousands of details that they would like to link into Revit projects and don't have the time or manpower to recreate them in Revit. Autodesk has never understood that they must make the transitional options as transparent as possible to help us produce projects with Revit. Coming from my 30 years in CAD, this one is pretty simple as many firms have never used or needed Annotative text. 

David William Edwards

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators