Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tagging rooms in a nested link

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
katjon_NJRA_
919 Views, 7 Replies

Tagging rooms in a nested link

I am not sure if this is possible but my goal is to be able to create an active room tag in a host model for a nested model room inside of a link. Using Revit 2022 - The set up for the project is small units (A model) linked into a building models (B model) and building models linked into a complex (C model). All sheets for construction have been requested to be created in 'C model'. I can create active room tags in the 'C model' through the Revit link display settings for the linked 'B model', or if I link 'A model' into C directly. I can also get the nested room tags from a specific view from A -> B -> C showing (all set up as attachment links), but can't tag the nested rooms the way I can the direct link rooms, although I can view the tags *and rooms* from 'A model' showing in the 'B model' linked view. I've tried the "by linked view" and "custom" options and can't get the the function to pull through the nesting. Is there a way to keep the link structure A-> B-> C and tag the nested rooms from A in the C model? Or will I have to settle for linking all the 'A model's into C or having tags that I have to adjust in another model every time there is a conflict with other annotations in C? 
Below is the best setting I have found so far 

katjon_NJRA__0-1669745453212.png

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
barthbradley
in reply to: katjon_NJRA_

The Phase Mapping must be out of whack .  Check that upstream.  

Message 3 of 8
katjon_NJRA_
in reply to: barthbradley

There are only 2 phases, everything is new construction, and all are mapped. I can tag the nested model 'A' in the building 'B' link, and make the tag hosted in 'B' visible in the 'C' model but still can only tag the 'B' link model live. I can select and see the rooms from the nested 'A' link and can make the tags in the 'B' link view visible, but can't tag the 'A' rooms in 'C' still. I tried moving the 'B' link rooms to a different workset so I could turn it off in the view I want to tag the unit rooms in, but it still only picks up the 'B' link rooms in 'C'. Tried tabbing through, nothing yet.

Any good articles on controlling nested models in general? I also discovered that even though I close worksets (like sharded levels and grids) from model 'A' in model 'B' so that everything is showing properly, when I load 'B' to 'C' all the worksets for 'A' become visible again and there is no way to control only the nested link except to link everything to a specific view in 'B' (doing all the work twice) or turn off shared levels and grids from 'B' (but I still want the building information in the 'C' model just not the unit 'A' information....). Anyone ever done something like this? Is it worth it? Thought it would be easier to control with nesting a smaller number in each of the buildings being brought in rather than near 100 instances of 'A' link in 'C', but not sure at this point.

Message 4 of 8
barthbradley

So, to clarify: you are saying that you cannot create Rooms in the Parent Project by selecting bounded areas within a nested Link (e.g. one that is Attached to another Link in the Parent Project)? You should be able to. The only thing I can think of is that the Phase Mapping of the Links are out of whack.

Link Phase Mapping.png

Message 5 of 8
katjon_NJRA_
in reply to: barthbradley

Sorry, no. I want to tag rooms created in a nested link in the Parent Project. The rooms are already created, and I can select them in the parent project, but I can't tag them. I can make tags visible from a specific view where they are tagged in the parent link, and I can tag the parent link rooms, but I can't get the tags to pick up the nested link rooms in the parent project. I am thinking it might just be that I hit a limit and have to find a different workflow, because I also can't control any worksets from the nested model in the parent model, only the parent link... Unless there is something I am missing about controlling nested models
Message 6 of 8
barthbradley

Tag All (with Include Links checked) and see if that picks them up.

Message 7 of 8
ToanDN

I have no issues tagging room of 2nd level nested link.

A linked in B as attachment, B linked in C.

ToanDN_0-1669833024821.png

Message 8 of 8
katjon_NJRA_
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks for the easy way to trouble shoot this. This pinpointed the problem. The nesting being only half of it. Tried this with a simplified version of the models causing the problem. Looks like with the B room over the top of the A, even when I turned off the workset for B rooms, it was not able to pick up behind. With the 'tag all' 'including links', it did pick it up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report