Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbolic Line not changing Subcatagory

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
rookio
604 Views, 3 Replies

Symbolic Line not changing Subcatagory

Hi Guys,

Ive searched heaps but can't find any answers on this issue.

I want to be able to control symbolic lines via their subcatagory in internal elevation views.

I have the lines i want setup with their own subcatagories, however when i insert them into project the lines are obscured by the cabinetry.

As you can see from the screenshot - with Cabinet Hidden, the relevant subcatagory takes control (green)

If i unhide the cabinet the lines dissapear. (far right) And then if i use the show hidden to bring them to the front, they cease to use the setting from their own subcatagory and take on the properties of the relevant <Hidden Lines> subcatagory.

Any idea how to show these lines without using the "show hidden" tool?  The symbolic lines are set in family to "Draw in foregound"  but the cabinetry still hides the lines.

Any suggestions or clues greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Brooke

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ToanDN
in reply to: rookio

Try background instead of foreground.  If not working, ste the workplane infront of the cabinetry before drawing the sumbolic lines.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
rookio
in reply to: ToanDN

Hey, Thanks for taking a look at this.

I don't know how to set the symbolic line to background in the family editor? It only has a tick box for draw in foreground. If i untick that box then it will be workplane dependant, i agree. However the cabinetry is in a different family. The Basin family is for all our firm's basins, cycle through type properties to choose basin then we host it to the cabinet benchtop face. In this case would a workplane for symbolic lines set an arbitrary distance (say 500mm e.g.) in front of the basin then push these in front of the cabinet family? The issue I have with this is that it increases the inviisble bounding box on the basin family and then the whole project gets hard to work with as you have invisible lines everywhere making it hard to select the correct component. without zooming in super tight or tabbing through everything

Message 4 of 4
ToanDN
in reply to: rookio

Uncheck the foreground box means the lines are drawn in the background. If the basin is nested in the cabinet family then you either do what you said: add a front ref plane to draw the lines, but set the plane to not reference, or give it an instance parameter so that you can align it with the actual face of cabinetry upon nesting.

Another option is draw the symbolic line in the cabinet family and and you a visibility parameter to turn it on and off. We use this approach as well.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators