Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swept Blend Edit Vertices

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
chughes
1458 Views, 25 Replies

Swept Blend Edit Vertices

Is is not possible to drag the vertices in the 'Edit Vertices' portion of the Swept Blend process?  I can get the individual vertices to show, but when I click to drag to reshape the blend, the open blue circles change to a solid black dot that cannot be moved.

chughes_0-1652294791481.png

chughes_1-1652294810432.png

I need to drag the upper vertices down to create a smoother transition to horizontal

chughes_2-1652294923927.png

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
barthbradley
in reply to: chughes

As far as I know, those only activate an Edge to Twist.  Press to create an Edge. Press again to undo the Edge.  I never use them though.  Are you saying that they are supposed to do more?   

...you're not confusing those for spline controls; are you?  

Message 3 of 26
ToanDN

If you want to reshape the swept blend,  edit it then edit the two profiles and the path. While you can twist using vertices, there is little control that make it not very useful.

Message 4 of 26
chughes

I was operating under the (likely wrong) assumption that I would be able to grab and drag those points to change how the edges of the sweep meet the workplane of each end of the sweep.  Similar to below:

chughes_0-1652361445991.png

There is even a prompt to 'Drag' when hovering over the control point:

chughes_1-1652361520253.png

It seems like the intuitive thing to do.  If the blend cannot be controlled in that manner, any suggestions on how to shape it further?

Message 5 of 26
barthbradley

@chughes wrote:

any suggestions on how to shape it further?

Twisting it not getting you what you want?  

What do you want then? 

Message 6 of 26
chughes
in reply to: barthbradley

I would like to manipulate the shape of the top plane to be as shown below.  This is overlaid on the default shape of the swept blend in elevation.  I need the top plane of the sweep to transition smoothly into the top plane of the adjacent low wall.

chughes_0-1652366838424.png

I was able to create the shape in red in Bluebeam by manipulating the vertices of the polygon.  It *seems* that I would be able to do the same with the edit vertices option for the profile of the blend.  Below is an example of grabbing and dragging the vertices of the arc and the preview of the new shape.

chughes_1-1652367037856.png

Message 7 of 26
barthbradley

Are you trying to wrap the Wall with the Sweep Blend?  If so, what about joining the Sweep Blend to the Wall to create an Edge and then creating another Sweep Blend pathed along that Edge (via Pick Lines tool)?  

Message 8 of 26
chughes

Sorry, I should have put up a couple of 3D views for clarity.  I need the top of the planter wall to swoop smoothly up and around to the front wall without creating the angle/break at the top of the low planter wall.

chughes_0-1652369561928.png

chughes_1-1652369739197.png

Message 9 of 26
barthbradley

Why don't you model that using a stair support?  

Stringer 512.png

...or cut a Wall with an in-place modeled void. Subtractive modeling approach. 

Message 10 of 26
chughes

I don’t think the stair support will work out.  I still get the same form, plus the width of the two ends change.  I can get closer with a swept blend + void extrusion.  It is not exactly what I want, but it is closer.

chughes_0-1652377526859.png

I guess I don’t understand the edit vertices function, though.  It is almost as if it is an unfinished feature....

Message 11 of 26
ToanDN

I think you want a flat top line at every profile should you slice the element along its path.  If so, copy paste it to a new project and share it here.

Message 12 of 26
barthbradley

Looks good in that View.  What's wrong with it?  

BTW: Nice facade.  Very Deco.  

Message 13 of 26
chughes
in reply to: ToanDN

Uploading as a family, as it is a model-in-place element.

Message 14 of 26
ToanDN

What you have done is the right approach.  I can only suggest to use a semi-ellipse void for a smoother transition but it is largely personal.

ToanDN_0-1652382048623.png

ToanDN_1-1652382104217.png

Message 15 of 26
barthbradley

Wish I could read your mind here. I'm looking at your file here and don't see an issue. Is there some design criteria that needs to be met?  

...Maybe model it the way it should be constructed in the field.  That's always my fall-back. 

Message 16 of 26
chughes

Thanks.  There are some minor parts that could be refined, such as the way the blend starts to flare in plan sooner than I want.  Small stuff, mostly due to me getting too hung up on getting it just right.  If only I could just grab and drag those vertices around........

Take a look at 'Alys Beach' if you want to see some cool stuff.

Message 17 of 26
barthbradley

Florida, huh.  Reminded me of Hollywood.  

Anyways, maybe "building" it in Revit would get you to where you want to go.  I mean, if it's that critical, then the CD's are going to have to be explicit.  Lots of cross-sections and dimensions.  Probably going to need a Rocket Scientist to build it in the field.  😉  

Message 18 of 26
chughes

The guys in the field are actually pretty good at getting the swoops and curves right.  I just need to show them what I am looking for.

This is all I want from those vertices.  It’s a simple 21 step request.  No big deal, right?

Message 19 of 26
barthbradley

What about a 3-Point Adaptive Family with parametrically sized end Profiles? 

Hollywood.png 

...and Add Profile (s) for greater shape editing control.

Hollywood2.png

Message 20 of 26
chughes
in reply to: ToanDN

You are right, the ellipse works better to create the transition.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators