Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep with parameter?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
5710 Views, 7 Replies

Sweep with parameter?

Hi,

Im working in Revit 2010. Im trying to set up a Steel RHS family/types based on a sweep, see attached. Loaded into the family and used in creating the sweep is a profile family with different RHS size types. Is it possible to change the sweeps profile type using a parameter from within RHS family types? 

Ive search online and in help manuals with no luck...I assume its not possible (unlike driving a nested component using a family type parameter from within the project.) Any suggestions would be most welcome, thanx

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

Unfortunately, sweeps made with the generic model families cannot have the section controlled by a family type parameter, from within a project. To change it, you need to open the family, and specify a different profile for the sweep.

It has been a known limitation. Sometime ago, I posted whishlist, item in Revitforum, about this issue : http://www.revitforum.org/2011-archive/4121-revit-architecture-tying-profile-family-type.html#post32...

It is possible only in a family that is created with a generic adaptive template. by using a flat generic model family as the profile of an extrusion that is created with the "Create Form" tool, and tying that flat model family to a Family Type parameter.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Was this solved in later versions?

Message 5 of 8
r.waandersEF3FP

Just stumbled across it today. It doesn't work in R18.3.

Message 6 of 8
Brad_Chan1

Was this solved in later versions?

Message 7 of 8
Andy6640
in reply to: Brad_Chan1

Someone asked if it had been solved in later versions. I'm using 2024 and it hasn't been solved. At least  I can't find any evidence of it and I still struggle to get over this niggling limitation.

Adaptive families, as someone else pointed out, do work with by using a face based generic model and treating it as a profile when loaded into the target family.

Adaptive families do not work in the same way as non-adaptive ones, or so it seems to me, and they carry a lot of 'overhead', so are not so convenient for many uses.

Message 8 of 8
Hisham_Odish

I'm having the same issues. I can't find a way to change the profile in a sweep using the Family Type parameter. I'm not sure why Autodesk is not fixing this limitation.

thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report