Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep Issue

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
950 Views, 18 Replies

Sweep Issue

A previous employer created a sweep for the balcony level of our auditorium. I am also not familiar with using sweeps...

The spacing between the two side seating areas and the wall are equal at 7'-6" but the middle seating area distance needs to be larger as we don't have enough clearance between the wall and the back of the first row of seats. How can I adjust the sweep to allow for extra space in the center seating area?

Would I be better off not using a sweep and creating extrusions instead? 

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Not sure you're using the right lingo here. You say "Sweep", but your screenshot shows what might be an Array.  If it is an Array, sure you can have a Spacing Parameter.   Post the File.  

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

The mass was created using a sweep.... 

'Capture' -- This is the mass alone. 

'Capture2' -- Modify Sweep window where you can see both the path and profile

Message 4 of 19
barthbradley

Okay, I see the "sweep" now.  Smiley Wink

So, your question is how to squeeze in so many linear feet of chairs into a space that has less linear feet?  Sounds like you need a bigger boat.  

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

No my question has nothing to do with the seats. 

Please read original post.

Message 6 of 19
barthbradley

Yes, I get it. The middle section of the sweep isn't deep enough or long enough or whatever.  It obviously can't be a contiguous sweep.  Probably better to do it as extrusions in Plan View, so you can make the middle section wider (e.g. deeper). 

...still though; something's gotta give. Make the hypotenuse longer in the middle, and that will shorten the hypotenuse on the ends.   

Message 7 of 19
ToanDN

Keep the sweep as is and add an extrusion within the same in-place family for the additional floor at the back.  Then join them.

How do you want to change the layout?  Move all the middle section seats forward or move the wall backward?

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

Okay. So the issue I am having when using extrusions is the overlapping of the three sections on the underside of the balcony. I cannot create a void extrusion as it makes a hole in the middle. 

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

I need to move the seats forward 

Message 10 of 19
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

I need to move the seats forward 

Simple.  Edit the sweep, edit the path and offset middle segment forward the same distance you want to move the seats (6" I guess).

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous

I have already tried moving the middle segment of the path and no adjustments were made due to the fact that the profile has a set distance of 7'-6". The middle needs an extra 2'-6" and so I would need to edit the profile... ? That would then change the distance from the wall in the other areas which I do not want to do

Message 12 of 19
ToanDN

Can you share the sweep model and some detail lines on plan indicates where you want the steps to be?
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous

How would you like me to share it ?

Message 14 of 19
ToanDN

Here. You can just copy paste it aligned to a new file and draft the lines there.
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous

Hopefully this works......

Message 16 of 19
ToanDN

See attached.  Only thing you need to do is edit the boundary of the top steps then the sweep will follow (because the sweep path was drawn by Pink 3d edges of the top plat form).  Then edit the in place model of the sweep and move the small steps forward the same distance (do not change the sweep itself).  Then edit the railing path at the bottom and move the seats and you are all set.

Annotation 2019-04-02 132636.png

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

Would you mind doing a screencast if you are able to do so? 

Message 18 of 19
ToanDN
Message 19 of 19
Anonymous

You rock!! Thank you so much for your time. This was all very helpful. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report