Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Point

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Code_x
311 Views, 8 Replies

Survey Point

Hi, I have a project file that I have been working for a couple of months for now. I recently received a survey file containing spot elevations on the corners of the building which says BW26.60 and TW22.20 not sure which one should I use? Also, can someone explains to me what those letters mean,  and how do I set my survey point so that it reflects these given elevations?  If anyone can give step by step instructions on setting up the survey points I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
barthbradley
in reply to: Code_x

Bottom of Wall and Top of Wall.  

...What are the units? Actually, post a screenshot of the map.  Let's see what you are referencing.  

Message 3 of 9
Code_x
in reply to: barthbradley

The units are in feet. Sorry I can’t post that file. As I described earlier the corner of my building has to match with the numbers provided from the surveyor BW26.60 and TW22.20. How do I set that up? 

Message 4 of 9
barthbradley

Does the survey have a building footprint shown on it?  If so, you would rotate the survey/building footprint to align with your project's building and then ACQUIRE coordinates from the Survey.  

...You need to know what's being referenced with TW and BW. Sounds a little odd.  It certainly wouldn't give me enough information to properly align the survey.   Why can't you post a screenshot?  

Message 5 of 9
Code_x

Yes, the survey file has a building footprint shown on it.  

Message 6 of 9
barthbradley

Bada Bing!  Then use the method I described above to align it N/S and E/W. But the TW/BW is critical information to establish the "Elevation" of the Survey Point.  If it's called out, it must be referencing something. What is it?  

Message 7 of 9
Code_x

I am not sure what is it referencing but if you can explain me what does   N/S and E/W and TW/BW means, I would really appreciate it. I haven’t done this in the past , if you can describe the process step by step it will be very helpful. Thank you. 

Message 8 of 9
barthbradley

X and Y? [N]orth/[S]outh and [E]ast/[W]est?  That's what you are orienting the building to.  Your Survey probably landed in the Project with North at 12 o'clock. So if your Building is facing south in your Project, but it actually faces North in the field, then you would rotate the Survey 180 degrees in your Project and then Acquire it's Coordinates.  That's the long and short of it.   

Coords.png

I'd really like to see a screen capture of your Survey to confirm a couple of things.  Is this possible? 

As for the step-by-step, I explained that you need to align the Survey Building Footprint to the Project Building Footprint.  That mean that you need to physically move and rotate the Survey in your Project.  Once it is aligned properly, go to Manage=>Coordinates=Acquire Coordinates to record the Survey's position in your Project.  But, even that isn't absolutely necessary.  What are you tasked with doing exactly?  Why were you sent the Survey?      

Message 9 of 9
barthbradley

What I think, is that you were sent Survey containing the location, height and depth of stem walls -- walls that will support the floor joists on top of which you will build the structure you are modeling. The TW represents the Top of the Walls -- NOT the top of Finished Floor, which is probably your Level 1.  Neither TW or BW matter though when aligning the footprint. That information only matters to figuring the elevation.  You don't have enough information to determine elevation. So, forget about it. Just align in Plan view, and then call it a day and go eat some turkey.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators