Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Pattern Clipping in 3D view

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
good_man_27
749 Views, 18 Replies

Surface Pattern Clipping in 3D view

I'm using the default (Masonry Brick 75x225) fill pattern for the walls' foreground surface pattern, and the default (Spanish Tile) fill pattern for the roof.

As you can see in the image below, at sharp angles (green question marks), the wall pattern gets clipped/greyed out. And while I might be able to ignore those, I DEFINITELY can't ignore the roof. It's all greyed out in the views I need.

good_man_27_1-1659770131090.png

Mind you, if you are looking down at the roof, so the view angle is kind of "soft", the pattern will show correctly:

good_man_27_2-1659770530775.png

Please help.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
barthbradley
in reply to: good_man_27

Try changing your Perspective View Scale. 

Message 3 of 19
good_man_27

Sorry, but I don't know how to do that. If the 3D view mode was set to Orthographic, the Scale does show at the bottom of the scree, where you can set it, but if the view was set to Perspective, the way I need my 3D view to be presented, the scale gets locked:

good_man_27_1-1659830286641.png

good_man_27_2-1659830401950.png

Message 4 of 19
ToanDN

Set the view to Ortho, change scale, then set it back to perspective. Not sure if it will fix the issue tell you the truth.

Message 5 of 19
barthbradley

If View Scale doesn't correct, then it could be too sharp of an angle.  It's not uncommon. Adjusting the Viewing Angle ever so slightly generally fixes it.  

Message 6 of 19
good_man_27
in reply to: barthbradley

Thanks guys. Yes, I did realise it was the view angle. Apparently Revit clips/fades surface patterns at sharp angles. I was wondering if there was a way to set how sharp the angle can go before Revit starts clipping.

Message 7 of 19
ToanDN

Attached is a PDF export from a perspective view and if you zoom in you can still see the pattern even though the angle is sharp.

Maybe you should share your file.

Message 8 of 19
good_man_27
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks @ToanDN. Very impressive. Any chance you could take a screen shot for the export dialogue? I've practically tried changing all settings, but still didn't get the roof pattern.

Message 9 of 19
good_man_27

@ToanDN , I believe the surface pattern you are using in the PDF you provided is (Drafting) type. It seems that Revit can handle Drafting surface patterns much better. If I chose one drafting surface pattern, it does export nicely.

The issue is, the pattern I'm using for the roof is Spanish Tile, which is a Model pattern.

Message 10 of 19
ToanDN

@good_man_27 wrote:

@ToanDN , I believe the surface pattern you are using in the PDF you provided is (Drafting) type. It seems that Revit can handle Drafting surface patterns much better. If I chose one drafting surface pattern, it does export nicely.

The issue is, the pattern I'm using for the roof is Spanish Tile, which is a Model pattern.

No it is a model pattern.

ToanDN_0-1659941630924.png

Message 11 of 19
ToanDN

@good_man_27 wrote:

Thanks @ToanDN. Very impressive. Any chance you could take a screen shot for the export dialogue? I've practically tried changing all settings, but still didn't get the roof pattern.

Nothing special about the export settings.  But I did change the view scale of the camera view from 3/32" = 1' to 3" = 1' to achieve the result.  I already told you how to change the scale in an earlier reply.

ToanDN_0-1659942056621.png

Message 12 of 19
good_man_27

@ToanDN, mate I really appreciate your time providing this. Could you please pass on the surface pattern you are using, (Shake 6")? Any PAT file?

Message 13 of 19
ToanDN

@good_man_27 wrote:

@ToanDN, mate I really appreciate your time providing this. Could you please pass on the surface pattern you are using, (Shake 6")? Any PAT file?

The material and pattern is from the Architectural Imperial Template.

Message 14 of 19
good_man_27

I use metric template! Any idea how to exort the surface patters on the imperial template as a PAT file?

Message 15 of 19
ToanDN

I added the material to the attached metric project.  But I can guarantee your spanish tile material will work the same. 

Message 16 of 19
good_man_27

I use metric template! Any idea how to exort the surface patters on the imperial template as a PAT file?

Message 17 of 19
good_man_27

@ToanDN

Kindly,

1. Please explain to me how to get the patterns on the Revit file you attached transfered to my Revit project file

2. Do you suggets a fix in regard of the Spanish Tile pattern, so it gets displayed nicely?

Message 18 of 19
ToanDN

@good_man_27 wrote:

@ToanDN

Kindly,

1. Please explain to me how to get the patterns on the Revit file you attached transfered to my Revit project file

You can use Transfer Project Standards and choose Materials category to bring the  materials from one project to another. 

You can create an element (for example a wall) with a material and copy paste from one project to another to bring the material in.

With that said, I did not do the exercise to persuade you to change the material, but to demonstrate that what you want can be done with your own material.

2. Do you suggets a fix in regard of the Spanish Tile pattern, so it gets displayed nicely?

I already had. Multiple times.  Here is it again: change the camera view from perspective view to orthographic, change the scale to a large scale such as 1:10 or 1:5, change it back to perspective, and that will fix it.

Message 19 of 19
good_man_27

@ToanDN 

I did try that, even before you suggested it, but the roof didn't change at all, while looking at it on the 3D view on Revit.

HOWEVER, this time around - now that you stressed it, and although the roof remained looking the same on Revit, I did export it as JPG. IT'S BRILLIANT!!!! Even the greyed out walls came up nice and sharp.

good_man_27_0-1660019975099.png

It seems Revit defautls the view scale to 200 when inserting a camera. Taking it down to 100 did the trick for me.

Mate, you're a legend! Thank you so very much for taking the time to follow this throuhg.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators