Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stud Wall

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
jinergoh721
1748 Views, 20 Replies

Stud Wall

Hi,

How to model a steel stud wall in revit according to diagram shown below?

I think I should use C channel for Stud and U track. Screenshot (380).png

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
barthbradley
in reply to: jinergoh721

Curtain Wall with Studs as Mullions and empty space between studs as Empty System Panels.  Or, use Beams and Columns.  

Here's the gist of the Curtain Wall approach: 

Stud Wall Curtain Wall.png

...then start adding Grids/Mullions.  Going to be a lot of work though. It would be even for the best of us.  

....FYI: If this is typical work for you, there is better software. Strucsoft, AGACAD, etc. Expensive though. Like Revit-Expensive.  

Message 3 of 21
jinergoh721
in reply to: barthbradley

I think using Structural column would be easier? But just for the track (horizontal beam, we call it track for stud frame), i couldnt figure out how to do it ? Maybe free form extrusion? 

Message 4 of 21
Martijn.Pater

It might be easy to draw it as model lines first on some refplane and then snap structural framing families to those (pick lines w. 3D snapping). I sometimes find that useful/handy for creating a frame. Sort of like an in-place truss family.

Message 5 of 21
jinergoh721

I will try using Beams & Columns, for stud track use Model a component> model in place> Create>extrusion with reference plane on.
Message 6 of 21
ToanDN

@jinergoh721 wrote:
I will try using Beams & Columns, for stud track use Model a component> model in place> Create>extrusion with reference plane on.

That is a hard way to do it.  It is easier using curtain walls: vertical mullions for studs, horizontal mullions for tracks, headers, sills.

Message 7 of 21
jinergoh721
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi,

Can you share more resources and steps on how to do it?

I can't seem to find a tutorial to start with....

TQ

Jiner.

Message 8 of 21
ToanDN

@jinergoh721 wrote:

Hi,

Can you share more resources and steps on how to do it?

I can't seem to find a tutorial to start with....

TQ

Jiner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaStdna1NMw

Get these Project files, all Advanced Courses and 1 on 1 Classes: https://www.patreon.com/balkanarchitect Subscribe for more! Please Like this Tutorial! Follow me on social media: Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/balkanarchitect/ Facebook: ...
Message 9 of 21
jinergoh721

Hi,

Thanks for your help, sincerely.

But I stucked at this, the curtain panel is solid instead of empty like in a stud frame. I followed the settings, not sure if I missed out anything.

Screenshot (572).png

TQ,

Jiner

Message 10 of 21
ToanDN

Set the curtain wall type to use Empty System panel type.
Message 11 of 21
jinergoh721

Hi,

Not that I want the outer part to be Insulation layer in between wall panels, but empty air for inside the windows, how can I fix it up?

Jiner

jinergoh721_0-1651712646709.png

Message 12 of 21
ToanDN

- Add curtain grids around the window opening

- Tab on each grid segment inside the opening and Remove segment from ribbon menu

- When done you will have an opening without any studs inside

Message 13 of 21
jinergoh721

Hi,

Look there's some glitch here even though I put empty panel, may I know how to fix it.

jinergoh721_0-1651726623865.png

Message 14 of 21
ToanDN

Use Empty System Panel, not Empty Panel.  They are different and the former works for non rectangular shapes but the latter does not.

Message 15 of 21
jinergoh721

I'm using Australia revit family, it doesnt seems to have empty system panel, only have empty panel

Jiner

Message 16 of 21
jinergoh721
in reply to: Martijn.Pater

I tried both methods,
Curtain wall method is definitely more suitable for stud frame,
Then your approach is probably more relevant for floor beam framing.

Still having some glitch on curtain wall —-stud frame approach, maybe gonna
just leave it there.

TQ,
Jiner
Message 17 of 21
ToanDN

Create a new project from the Architectural template and transfer project standards > curtain wall/panel to bring Empty System Panel type in yours.

Message 18 of 21
jinergoh721

I have a friend  who thinks it's not necessary to model Stud frame in revit,

but perhaps trace stud frame google drawings in 2D, I just wanna ask how do you think about it?

3D or 2D?

But now I find 3D there's a whole lot of glitch when it comes to placing windows & doors, though I follow the steps in tutorial video. 

Message 19 of 21
jinergoh721

I watched  this:

transfer project standard,

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Revit-C...

Cant seem to  find DWG/ DXF  in my template settings.

jinergoh721_0-1651815273381.png

Please share some relevant videos or resources instead of verbal for some case it's hard to get WDYM cuz I never do these settings b4, thnx. 

Jiner. 

Message 20 of 21
ToanDN

@jinergoh721 wrote:

I have a friend  who thinks it's not necessary to model Stud frame in revit,

but perhaps trace stud frame google drawings in 2D, I just wanna ask how do you think about it?

3D or 2D?

But now I find 3D there's a whole lot of glitch when it comes to placing windows & doors, though I follow the steps in tutorial video. 

It depends on the intent of your models.  I don't show stud framing in my architectural models but my subcontractors show them in their construction models.  I have standard drafting details showing stud framing criteria and all typical conditions, and unique details (mostly 2D, sometimes 3D) from the actual model to show unique conditions.

Even though your friend opinion is not wrong per se, if I were you I wouldn't base my work on a friend's opinion, or on an internet forum opinion, but on the industry standards where you work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report