Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Straight window in curved wall

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
j0258169
8452 Views, 24 Replies

Straight window in curved wall

I have a window family that I need to place in a curved wall. The window itself is a normal flat window, and the window opening can be straight, I'm not looking for something fancy. For some reason, when I place the window family in my curved wall, the window gets placed at an angle. I tried this in multiple wall thicknesses, and when I place it in a really thick wall it seems to get placed correctly. Has anyone experienced this behavior? Any thoughts on what could be affecting the angle?

Capture.JPG

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
ToanDN
in reply to: j0258169

@j0258169 wrote:

Perfect! I'm glad it was so simple.

Odd that Revit requires the ref plans to actually be labeled Right and Left. My original family had these planes in there just as Weak References and I must have accidentally deleted them while trying to figure it out. I tried putting ref planes in as just Weak References and it did not work, so it wasn't just the constraints... Labeling them Right and Left fixed it.

Any reason why it would do this? I didn't realize that this label affected the behavior in families.

It is a good practice to have reference planes to drive the parameters and constrain the geometry.  But if you happen to open the revised family I shared, I did not create additional reference planes, and it still works.

Message 22 of 25
j0258169
in reply to: barthbradley

Yes, sorry, to clarify, I didn't actually mean the name. I meant the "Is Reference" parameter in the "Other" section of the reference plane properties. When I set "Is Reference" to Right and Left, it works. When I set "Is Reference" to Weak Reference, it does not work. 

Message 23 of 25
j0258169
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes, the opening cut seems to work fine, unfortunately I need the void cut to be able to control the depth in instances where I don't want the opening to cut all the way through the wall.

Message 24 of 25
barthbradley
in reply to: j0258169

@j0258169 wrote:

Yes, sorry, to clarify, I didn't actually mean the name. I meant the "Is Reference" parameter in the "Other" section of the reference plane properties. When I set "Is Reference" to Right and Left, it works. When I set "Is Reference" to Weak Reference, it does not work. 

Sorry for the confusion -- Yes, still use the names. I was emphasizing constraining. A lot of issues can be attributed to inadequate constraints. In your case, you wanted the window to remain orthogonal. 

Ortho.png 

Message 25 of 25
chrisplyler
in reply to: barthbradley

barthbradley wrote:

You kind of made my point, @chrisplyler. There will be some special construction to frame the opening, such as "a hole for the window will be cut through [the wall]", as you point out.   The "hole" is special construction in your example. In Revit, we accomplish this through a Void Cut.  

Oh. My apologies. I mistakenly distinguished between an opening and the "framing" of an opening.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators