Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stainless Steel Material is showing gray when render in cloud

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
4160 Views, 10 Replies

Stainless Steel Material is showing gray when render in cloud

I have problem with rendering applince with stainless steel material,like oven and refrigotar,I tried to edit the family and add another stainless steel but still showing gray when rendering.Any suggestion ? Please see the attachments expline how the material showing when rendering 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
diana.rivera.ruiz
in reply to: Anonymous

I understand you want the material with another color? If you want this, you could do this,

I hope this help you

Material -1.JPG

material.JPG

Message 3 of 11
L.Maas

Rendering a scene and getting realistic results takes quite some effort. The end-result is depending on a lot of settings.

First of course is the material. But also think about ligthing (see how colors change in morning, afternoon or evening light). Further colors change depending on the surroundings, especilally with highly reflective materials, color from objects in the neighbourhood can influence color of the object.

And of course also the quality setting of the rendering can have huge impact on the end-result.

After all of that it is sometimes still required to do some manipulation (e.g. highlights, levels, gamma correction) with other software (e.g. Photoshop).

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 4 of 11
chrisplyler

Can you attach one of the appliance families here? The refrigerator?

Let us try rendering it and see what we can come up with. If we can get a good result we can discuss the settings used.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

please see the attachment,I dont want to change the color I just want to get the shiny steel material 

Message 6 of 11
chrisplyler

1. The door and handle extrusions in the family are not the same stainless steel material that's in a default project file. So I opened both at the same time, and transferred materials into the fridge family from the project. Then I selected those extrusions and changed the material to stainless steel. Then re-loaded the family into the project with parameters.

2. In the project's materials manager, on the appearance tab for stainless steel, I changed the Tint from black to white. Don't know why they default it to black. That doesn't make sense to me.

3. The face of the main door extrusion didn't pick up the stainless properties despite the fact that the extrusion is set to be stainless now. The edges do, but not the main face. I don't know why. I can't explain this odd behavior. So I went back into the family editor and painted that face with the stainless material. And re-loaded it into the project again.

4. Of course, to pick up on the reflectivity, you've got to have something to reflect, so I added a floor and a desk.

I get this:

stainless1.jpg

I'm sure you can play around with the exact material settings and the exact Custom (View Specific) render settings options to get it a bit better.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

Thank you so much,that's wotk perfctly 

thanks again 

Message 8 of 11
chrisplyler

I would enjoy you posting another render of your kitchen with it working!

And if you feel I've substantially contributed to solving your problem, please select my prior post as a solution.

Message 9 of 11
L.Maas

For testing renders I often use a Cornell Box. Basically a room with a white, red and green wall, a white floor and a light.

It gives me the oppurtunity to try out different things (e.g. materials,lights, render settings).

If interested you can find a Revit model of such a box on revitforum.org (or google for it). 

As example an output from such a file with an added stainless steel sphere.

Cornell Box.jpg

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

That's what I got so far,stil play with it

Message 11 of 11
Base12

Did you ever get this solved?  I'm having the same problem.  None of the mentioned "solutions" work.  I change the tint, etc, even to other [shiny] materials.  Nothing changes.  It's like Revit lost its ability to produce metallic sheen?  Even a downloaded family from a manufacturer (Kohler faucet, for example) renders dull gray.  When I change the tint color, it takes on that color (except white does nothing), but it is still dull, matte finish.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators