Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

space-volume in a room with a sloped wall or roof to the outside

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2639 Views, 6 Replies

space-volume in a room with a sloped wall or roof to the outside

Hello Community,

Question: How can i create the correct space-volume in a room with a sloped wall or roof?

If the wall is inclined to the inside (Picture 1) everything seems to work. If the wall is inclined to the outside (picture 2) the volume is not shown correct. 

I tried this with multiple geometries (picture 3). With sloped walls (middle row) as well as with sloped roofs (front row). in picture 3 you see, that most of the time the volume (greenisch) isn´t created correct.. anyone has an idea how to deal with these to the outside inclined surfaces?

(..i need the space-volumes for the ifc export)

thanks for your help, Kalle

Tags (4)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

For those rooms with the walls inclined towards the outside, try to do the rooms from the upper level, going down, by changing the properties of the the room, as shown below. It also helps to draw some room separation lines at the upper level (as indicated with the red lines below).

2016-11-16_6-41-36.png

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7
loboarch

IN addition to Alfredo's solution, you can change the computation height of the host level for the room. change the computation height to the top plane rather than the bottom plane of the room. this will result in the volume filling the entire space.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hey Alfredo,
thanks for your Reply! Your solution works quite good!

PROBLEM: When i add another room in the second level, than thats not possible anymore, because there would be 2 Rooms in the same Spaceboundaries. Any idea how to also fix that?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: loboarch

Hey loboarch,

Thanks for your answer !
i dont really understand your solution. do you mean something like this?

..in my case that doesnt seem to work.

Message 6 of 7
loboarch

Computation height is a parameter set on the level element NOT the room. Basically you are telling Revit where to scribe the perimeter of the room object.

For example if you use the default computation height of 0' the volume for this room is like this:

2016-11-16_1010.png

If you change the computation height of the level the room is hosted on (level 1) up to 12' (the point where the room gets bigger).

2016-11-16_1008.png 

You then get the exact same room volume looking like this:

2016-11-16_1009.png

Understand this is done by the entire level so ALL rooms hosted to this level will be treated like this. In most cases it will not matter, you can set the computation height to work in the sloping out conditions and the straight conditions will be fine.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 7 of 7
Mirko.Jurcevic

Hi,

had the same problem today, that's how I got here.

I'll write my solution in case somebody else come this way.

Each of the proposed solutions are good and bad because they are only half way there.

First, don't ever place your rooms upside-down (from a level and below), you will not be able to place another "normal" room up there, and it's against logic.

The other thing is, if you move your computational height upwards (since it's Level property), you will probably mess all the other rooms, including the one on the other side of the slanted wall if there is one.

My workaround is combination of those two:

- add another level only for "concave" rooms

- name it something you'll be able to recognize (when scheduling Rooms), for example: if you have "Level 1", call this new one "Level 1 Extra Rooms"

- set it's Computational Height parameter on the top of the "concave" room

- place Room on that new level "Level 1 Extra Rooms"

That way you will have "normal" (convex) rooms on the "Level 1", with computational height of 0.00, and "abnormal" (concave) rooms on the "Level 1 Extra Rooms"

If this solved your issue, please Accept it as Solution help other forum users with similar issues to find answers easily.

Mirko Jurcevic

My blog: www.engipedia.com
Try my Revit add-ins: Autodesk App Store

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators