Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMART KEYNOTES and MULTI LINE TEXT

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
dm0144
2629 Views, 14 Replies

SMART KEYNOTES and MULTI LINE TEXT

Hello everyone

I have 2 separate questions of the same nature. 

I am aiming to create smart keynotes in order to describe the layers of the walls. I know how to manage the keynotes with schedules, similarly to text block in AutoCAD, but I couldn't find a way to write the description in MULTILINE (attached example), typically used in architectural notes, so, my first question is:

How can I create a MULTILINE label describing the wall layers?

My second question would be: Is there a way to add smart TAG or key note or text note (currently, I don't recognize the difference) to the wall where it would automatically extract the wall layers and materials from the wall

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
DParkRMAK
in reply to: dm0144

I found this free addon that does this rather well. We use assembly tags to call read and list the layers in wall, floor, and roof elements. The addon adds parameters that report the assembly layers based on the materials, it can also list the layer thickness as well. The tags are easy to create.

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=7780462665166729539&appLang=en&os=Win64

The label lists the parameters and you just check the line break option for each parameter. In my tag I added text parameters for the finishes inside and out. This example is just a basic interior wall. I usually only use this for exterior walls, floors, and roofs in building and wall sections.

assembly tag sample.PNGassembly tag.PNG

Message 3 of 15
dm0144
in reply to: DParkRMAK

@DParkRMAK Thanks! The add-on provide what I am looking for.

Message 4 of 15
DParkRMAK

I am happy that worked out for you. It is perfect for this format for labelling assemblies. I had never seen this until I moved to Alaska. It is a very effective convention. I am curious how common it is. When I first asked about how to achieve this the responses were very limited like nobody does this. 

Message 5 of 15
dm0144

@DParkRMAK How do you have several parameters relating to each wall layer?

Also, does the name of the layer is taken from the material of that layer? Is it possible to change the description of that layer in the Text diaglog?

Particular example: The material is stone but I want to describe the sone material as ''thin stone facade layer''. The material is still stone but I don't want to create several materials just to change the descriprion of a particula layer.

I tried changing it in the text dialog but every time I run the add-on, the material desciption changes to what the actual material is named. 

Message 6 of 15
DParkRMAK

What I did was I named the material how I want it to show in the tag. 

Message 7 of 15
dm0144

@DParkRMAK Hi! is it possible with this add-on to add parameter that reads the total with of all the layers added together?

Message 8 of 15
RDAOU

@dm0144 

Width is an OOTB parameter which you can simply add to the custom tag that the addin is using

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 9 of 15
dm0144
in reply to: RDAOU

@RDAOU 

I dont find the width parameter as a option when editing the label.

Message 10 of 15
RDAOU

@dm0144 

Instead of a Multi-Category Tag, use a Wall Tag then you will be able to add/use the Width parameter to the label

That is to say, recreate the tag using the specific Tag template for each layered structure category ie: Wall/Floor/Roof. The Multi Category is used when you just want to tag general info or shared parameters. When you need access to the element specific OOTB parameters you use the Tag related to that specific category

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 11 of 15
dm0144

@RDAOU Thanks!

Message 12 of 15
RDAOU

@dm0144 

@dm0144 wrote:

@RDAOU Thanks!

Did that solve the issue?

Message 13 of 15
dm0144

@RDAOU It's not part of the original question so in order to avoid confusion for others who are having the same question, it's best to be able to pin-point the solution for the question.

Message 14 of 15
RDAOU

@dm0144 

Good... then I guess one should refrain from answering any off topic replies in the future until you post them in a new thread 🙂

Message 15 of 15
dm0144

@RDAOU 

How would you schedule the wall layers, withs and total width of the individual layers with with same format as in the text for the wall W1 - wall 1 (first screenshot)?

I created a wall shcedule (second screenshot) using the shared parameters for individual wall layers provided by Engipedia add-on. The  issue I have is that I can not calculate the total with of the layers. Instead I have to use wall width parameter, which is displayed in separate column in the schedule.

The provided screenshot as from two different wall types. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators