Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sloped butterfly roof

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
ellie7XSRV
2735 Views, 32 Replies

Sloped butterfly roof

I am fairly new to revit and was wondering the best way to model a the roof of a current project.  The roof is flat on the top and slopes towards the building on the bottom. So the profile of the roof looks like a butterfly roof but it then slopes back towards the building.  I will add pictures as to what its supposed to look like.  The roof also has an odd shape around the building (shown in the pictures - it is orientated correctly with north towards the top of the picture).  

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
bin
Advisor
in reply to: ellie7XSRV

Can you post a plan view with the roof pitch directions as well as gutter and down pipe locations?

Message 3 of 33
joe_keogh

Hi @ellie7XSRV 

What does the Crosshatch in the elevations represent?

It would seem to me that the elevation does not show the roof at all, and you are only seeing the fascia around the roof.  This could be simply modeled as walls, and then Edit Profile to create the slope to the underside.

The roof itself sits behind the Fascia and can slope in any direction, whether to a box gutter in the middle, or concealed eaves gutters to the perimeter.

Joe Keogh
Director | Design Technology + Innovation
www.viewlistic.com.au

Message 4 of 33
barthbradley

I'm with @joe_keogh

Do you have anything more than just this elevation?  Roof Plan, Cross-Sections, etc.? 

Message 5 of 33
ellie7XSRV

The cross hatch has to do with the walls - not important to this so that can be ignored.  It is definitely the roof not a fascia.  I am attaching all the drawings I have (these are not ours but from the core and shell architects - we do not have access to their model). and a diagram of the direction of slopes with some dimensions.  

Message 6 of 33
ellie7XSRV
in reply to: bin

I don't have the gutter and downspout locations

Message 7 of 33
ellie7XSRV

I posted everything I have below (these are from the core and shell architects - I don't have access to their model)

Message 8 of 33
barthbradley

Well, good news. It ain't a butterfly...

Message 9 of 33
ellie7XSRV
in reply to: barthbradley

No, it's not a butterfly, I wasn't sure what to call that thing on the bottom and butterfly was the closest thing that came to mind

Message 10 of 33
barthbradley

Yep, and the bad news is I can't readily figure it out.  Is this all you have?  

Message 11 of 33
ellie7XSRV

That is everything I have.  It doesn't have to be totally accurate or structurally accurate.  I just need something to show that it is there.

Message 12 of 33
bin
Advisor

Yes you have, it’s in the roof plan, and it looks like a simple sloped roof with slopes soffit.  

Message 13 of 33
ellie7XSRV

I still need a way to try and model it, which I can't figure out

Message 14 of 33
barthbradley

I think what's happening is that the soffit is sloped. That is the depth is being gradually reduced towards the center. 

Message 15 of 33
ellie7XSRV

That's kinda what I have in my model now.  I have a simple roof and was going to try and model the soffit separately but I don't know how to do that

Message 16 of 33
barthbradley

You can find the underside slope based on the thicknesses of the soffits in D1 and D4. D1 thickness minus D4 thickness divided by the distance between Section Marks D1 and D4.  

Message 17 of 33
bin
Advisor

Either model them separately, or use model in place, or modify points elevation. 

Message 18 of 33
barthbradley

My thinking (and I'm just thinking aloud) is along the lines of modeling the soffit as a variable thickness floor and then cutting the front slope (yes, you have another slope to consider) from the edge of the floor using an with an In-Place Void.    Confused yet?  Join the club. 

This is kind of what I'm thinking aloud about:

Soffit.png

Message 19 of 33
joe_keogh

I stand by my original post, and from the PDF you have shared I think this is clear.

of course there is a soffit to the fascia, simply refer to the Detail wall sections.  

Joe Keogh
Director | Design Technology + Innovation
www.viewlistic.com.au

Message 20 of 33
barthbradley
in reply to: joe_keogh

I'm standing right along side of you @joe_keogh. Now, how to model the d*mn thing.  Any thoughts?  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report