Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your favorite tips, tricks and workflows in Revit!

100 REPLIES 100
SOLVED
Message 12 of 101
Viveka_CD
19564 Views, 100 Replies

Share your favorite tips, tricks and workflows in Revit!

Hello Awesome community! Smiley Happy

I wanted to make a thread about sharing your favorite tips, tricks, or workflows found within Revit. From hotkey combos to those really essential tools that everyone may not know about, this is the place to share!

I've set the ball rolling below with some simple cool tidbits 'using formulas in fields' that people may not be aware of.

If you have a requirement to reduce the size of an architectural element, maybe a wall which needs to be cut down to half its size - you can use a formula in the 'unconnected height' field, input =20' 0"*.5 and yes the wall's height is reduced by half! Don't forget to use the '=' sign in front of your formula!

Please, share your tips too! Feel free to use images and screencasts!

Best Regards,

100 REPLIES 100
Message 21 of 101
Anonymous
in reply to: Viveka_CD

How to advance your firm to Revit from AutoCAD? Unfortunately, the answer is much longer than this post. However, I would like to offer you a tool I created to help mitigate the transition - Quick Commands Search for Autodesk’s Revit is a plugin which enables users to find and run commands by typing the command’s name in an autocomplete box.

Quick Commands Search is designed for:

The plugin is super easy to use and install:

1. Download it here: http://bit.ly/Quick_Commands_Search and run the installer.(Revit App Store)
  2. As you open Revit, press F3 and the commands box will open on top of your main screen. You can also open it by clicking on its icon in the Add-Ins ribbon

Best,

Message 22 of 101
Viveka_CD
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for sharing the 'Quick Commands Search' tools with the community!

Regards,

Message 23 of 101
Anonymous

If you are doing detailing in Revit there is always a challenge of keeping the 2D and 3D elements matching and up to date.

I don't think we are really following the one source of truth BIM principle if we are doing our details as Drafting Views or if we do our detail views completely hiding the 3D elements in that view. I think some times we can / have to hide the 3D elements but I could share a tip of something I use when doing details.

Check the short tutorial HERE

Vasco

Message 24 of 101
planner_matlabi

Hi

Tutorial show room and Color Scheme in 3D View

Thank YouUntitled.jpg

Message 25 of 101
Sahay_R

Creating weird shaped window families - 

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 26 of 101
planner_matlabi

Place Spot Slop on Ramp

Message 27 of 101
Sahay_R

Did you know that you can change Spot Slpes to percentage?

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 28 of 101

@planner_matlabi wrote:

Place Spot Slop on Ramp

@planner_matlabi: Was that a question? 

To place a Spot Slope on a Ramp in Plan View, go to a 3D View and place a Model Line, aligned and locked to one edge of the Ramp. If done correctly, the Model Line will flex with the Ramp. Confirm that it does. If so, go to Plan View and place Spot Slope Annotation on the Model Line (Tab-Select Ramp edge to find it). Now you have Spot Slope Annotation in Plan View, and if the Ramp's Slope changes, the Model Line will follow, and its hosted Spot Slope Annotation will update to reflect the new slope of the Model Line/Ramp. 

Message 29 of 101
planner_matlabi
in reply to: Sahay_R

Sorry

in previous post , Don;t Sent My screenCasts in this and it incomplet posted

Message 30 of 101

Sorry

I wanted to teach, but an incomplete post was sent

Thank you for your attention

Message 31 of 101

Cool, @planner_matlabi. That's a new one for me.  

Message 32 of 101

This is a more convenient way , I'm right?

Message 33 of 101

@planner_matlabi wrote:

This is a more convenient way , I'm right?

Yes, it seems to be. But I don't understand it. It's not logical. 

Message 34 of 101

Yes that's right But Applicable and simple

This may happen because both face are known to be copied

Message 35 of 101
PrathapSekar

Thanks for this nice thread, 

Here I would like to share my small tip, somebody may known.

Attached my screencast to show how to change material image quickly in Appearance tab of Material browser.

Thank You! and please 'Accept As Solution' when you found a solution, to help others.
Message 36 of 101
Viveka_CD
in reply to: PrathapSekar

Hi @PrathapSekar

Thank you! Your contribution makes this thread look nicerSmiley Happy

That was a nice tip, thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Message 37 of 101
Viveka_CD
in reply to: planner_matlabi

Hi @planner_matlabi

No worries, I added a tag to your screencast! Thanks for sharing your tip on how to place a Spot Slope on Ramp!

Regards,

Message 38 of 101
joemcninch

What are some things you have developed to increase productivity and efficiency in the modelling process?

One of the ways I can think to decrease the amount of time people may be spending looking for the proper model components is create a model component library Revit file sorted by spec section or room type.  Take toilet rooms / bathrooms for example, everything that a designer may need to develop a toilet room would be in one model file. The user could open it, copy and paste the components they would need and close it, as opposed to navigating to the model component library on our server and pulling out the necessary models one at a time. There could be multiple examples of efficient and accessible layouts in there as well that users could reference as a basis of design. This same concept could be used for kitchens, locker rooms, office layouts, and on and on.

We have already developed a similar Revit model containing our detail component library in a single Revit model.  We have sorted these components by spec section so that our users can find what they need quickly while our younger staff can become better acquainted with CSI Masterspec format.

Another way we have considered increasing efficiency is by creating separate standard templates by building type and add more common model components that may be applicable, but with that comes increased model sizes, and a more difficult time keeping them all maintained and up to date.

Do you all have any tips you would be willing to share or other ways to look at this?  Much appreciated.

Message 39 of 101
Anonymous

Thanks for the awesome thread of information!

Wanted to share a tool that really helps speed up the process of building walls, floors, ceilings, and/or roofs. It's called BIMsmith Forge and let's you build and visualize the assemblies in the cloud before downloading them as a system. Saves so much time if you're looking to get specific because it compiles everything you need automatically. Take a look below to see what it looks like to use a pre-formatted flooring assembly (but it works for walls and ceilings and roofs too). https://forge.bimsmith.com is this tool, but they also have a free marketplace to download specific loadable families too at https://market.bimsmith.com.

Happy building!

BIMsmith ForgeBIMsmith Forge

Message 40 of 101
Viveka_CD
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

I see that you are a new visitor. Welcome to the Autodesk community!

Thanks for taking time and sharing the BIMsmith Forge tool which will benefit others! Smiley Happy 

Looking forward to your continued participation.

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators