Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set even spacing BETWEEN windows (not centerlines)?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
rgreenupZ2MHF
777 Views, 8 Replies

Set even spacing BETWEEN windows (not centerlines)?

I haven't figured out how yet, but I find it hard to believe there's no way to set even wall spacing between outside of wall-->window and window-->window. And I'm not talking about dimensioning from outsides of wall to centerline of all windows and hitting EQ. This will always result in more wall on the outside of the first and last window by half the width of the windows. 

I want even wall space between each window AND between the last windows and the ends of the walls. Right now I'm having to take measurement of the width of the windows, take measurement from outside wall to outside wall, take width of window*number of windows, subtract that from total width of wall, then take that number/number of wall spaces to get the even spacing number then manually dimension them all individually.

Is there really no way to set even spacing automatically? I've attached screen grabs to illustrate. (ignore the extra 5/8"; it wouldn't snap to framing on elevations) This issue applies when trying to space three or four windows in an individual room as well. 

side note: the only situation where this isn't a problem is if I have either 3 or 7 windows, specifically. I can center one in the room then center the others between wall and edge of centered window. Any other number of windows presents the above problem.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

This is hard to read and understand - and your workaround sounds excruciating and unnecessary.  Can you throw in a screenshot or two? Might help us to understand better.

Message 3 of 9

Just added screen grabs. And I agree about the workarounds being excruciating and unnecessary. 

Message 4 of 9

How about an Equality Dimension along Entire Wall to Centers

DIMEntireWall.png

DIMEntireWall2.png

DIMEntireWall3.png

Message 5 of 9

If you hit EQ again and look at the dimensions you'll see that's what I'm describing as being the problem. Look at my attachment called "3". It gives an illustration of this with notes describing the issue. Notice all the centerline dimensions are 6' but the spacing between outside wall and outside edge of either last window is longer than the space between windows in the middle of the wall.

Message 6 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: rgreenupZ2MHF

Sure you can.

ToanDN_0-1679329788586.png

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9

Sorry, I misspoke. If you keep your dimension as you have it but measure between outside of wall to edge of window and then between edges of windows you'll see that dimension is different. 

Message 8 of 9
rgreenupZ2MHF
in reply to: ToanDN

Ah, never thought of this. Still wish they had a quick option to select walls and windows to be evenly spaced between, but this will still be much easier than what I'm doing! Thanks!

Message 9 of 9

@rgreenupZ2MHF wrote:

Sorry, I misspoke. If you keep your dimension as you have it but measure between outside of wall to edge of window and then between edges of windows you'll see that dimension is different. 

Huh?  

Reposition the Witness Line and then hit "EQ". No? 

DIMEntireWall4.pngDIMEntireWall5.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators