Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

segment section, but change how far i can see at specific location

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
HVAC-Novice
654 Views, 15 Replies

segment section, but change how far i can see at specific location

This is how you can segment a section. but it seems you only can adjust from where you see the section. So it adjsut what you include from where we see.

But what I want to do is adjust how far I can see. See below. The red should be how far I can see and the blue part should NOT be seen. in my example the blue area is a separate room and the section also shows things in that room, which it shouldn't. I tried to use an elevation, but that shows me the same.  

Is there a way to do that? Google told me thee is a plugin, but i cannot install plugins (IT rule).  So i need to do it with what Revit gives me. 

I want to avoid having to place 2 sections next to each other. 

enkus_0-1660916804494.png

Revit version: R2024.2.1
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Pshupe
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

I do not think this is an option. You cannot adjust the Far Clipping in that manner.  You could just add a masking region?  I assume you just want to obscure objects in that area.  Seems like that would work fine??

Regards Peter.

Message 3 of 16
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: Pshupe

Looks like a masking region will hide everything. Or am I missing the part where I can decide how far back the masking region is placed? It looks like the masking region isn't "smart" enough to cover only specific items (items behind the red line). if it was able, yes that would be a great solution.

am I missing something? 

Message 4 of 16
Pshupe

Can you show an image of what you want to see?  Are there objects like furniture in the foreground that you want to see?  If yes, then you cannot use the masking region.  I don't really understand what you are trying to achieve.  Why not just hide the objects you do not want to see in that view?

Regards Peter.

Message 5 of 16
barthbradley

How about Edit Crop?  Wouldn't that do the trick? 

Message 6 of 16
barthbradley

Wait a minute. Are you wanting the Section View to have two different Far Clips?  

Message 7 of 16
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: barthbradley

Yes, different far clips. The far clip line should be the red line in my example above. 

It looks like we only can adjust the cut plane. 

Message 8 of 16
barthbradley

@HVAC-Novice wrote:

Yes, different far clips. The far clip line should be the red line in my example above. 

It looks like we only can adjust the cut plane. 

You say there is some plug in that can do this?  Love to see it.  I have no idea how some plug can make that happen.  It's probably some magician's trick done with smoke and mirrors.  😉   

Message 9 of 16
mhiserZFHXS

How frequently do you come across this condition? I'd say if its not often, then just make two different sections, crop them just right, and put them right next to each other so it looks like one section. Set the far clipping as needed for each one. You could even set the view title to none for one of them so it just looks like one section in every way.

Its not the most BIM oriented solution, but if this is rare, I think it'll do. If your firm does this all of the time, you might want to figure something else out.

Message 10 of 16
ToanDN

Place a massive Box mass to block the area you don't want to see.  Or just create dependent views and place them side by side.

Mass on covering the entire spiral stair.

ToanDN_0-1660940376505.png

Mass on with reduced depth to cover a partial of the spiral stair.

ToanDN_1-1660940496451.png

Mass off.

ToanDN_2-1660940517576.png

Message 11 of 16
Pshupe
in reply to: ToanDN

I think the problem with the placing an object in front of what you don't want to see, is that it is then in every view because it's a 3d element.  I still do not fully comprehend the reasoning behind wanting to do this.  Why not just hide the objects in the view until it reaches the far clipping extent?

Regards Peter.

Message 12 of 16
ToanDN
in reply to: Pshupe

@Pshupe wrote:

I think the problem with the placing an object in front of what you don't want to see, is that it is then in every view because it's a 3d element.  I still do not fully comprehend the reasoning behind wanting to do this.  Why not just hide the objects in the view until it reaches the far clipping extent?

Regards Peter.

Hide it in the view you don't need it.  Hiding one massive mass element versus hiding multiple elements of various categories, which one is easier?

Message 13 of 16
Pshupe
in reply to: ToanDN

I would say hiding in view because you have to hide the one element in every other view, unless you apply a view template, I guess?  It's hard to say without any idea of what he is actually wanting to hide.  Is it too hard to post a quick image?  I think me typing 100 words to try and help is a little harder! 🤣🤣

Message 14 of 16
barthbradley

What is it that we're not supposed to see?  

Jogged Section.png

This? 

Bathroom at Shower and Vanities.png

😉

Message 15 of 16
HVAC-Novice

To clarify my example: the room has a staircase on top left and similar to my original sketch the red line i drew marks "how far" I want to see. The blue box is the staircase. The problem I have is, that the view that is supposed to show what is in front of the wall, also shows items in the staircase (like light fixtures).   So what I really want is a section or elevation to behave more like a camera view (not use X-ray to look through walls). 

enkus_0-1661025021440.png

Hope this makes it more clear. I don't want to add 3D elements and then hide them. This would create much work and unintended things in other views (M, E, A etc.). i also don't want to manually hide elements since that laos adds work, and doesn't update if I add more elements during design. 

But I found one possible solution. I originally had the section view as "Mechanical" and there it shows what is "behind" the wall separating the space and staircase. After changing it to "Coordination" (no other change!) it works like a regular camera view and does NOT see through walls. I'm sure this will have other unintended consequences. I wonder if "Mechanical" can be made to behave like that? 

This isn't the first time I need to resort to "Coordination" to not show items that should not be shown. 

Edit: I'm marking this as resolved since changing to "Coordination" seems to accomplish what I want. I still think A-desk should give us a view adjustment option to do that in "Electrical". 

and about    barthbradley's  comment about the plugin: that is something Google brought up. I can't find or remember details. Our IT blocks any software installation unless we go through a long approval process. So I dismiss any plugin solutions. 

Message 16 of 16
Pshupe

I know you are done with this but what you described could be easily done utilizing Revit's default visibility controls.  As you have noticed, discipline can be used to hide elements or display differently,  Visibility graphics can control any of the categories you do not want to see.  If categories aren't good enough, then use worksets.  If worksets aren't good enough use view filters.  Last resort is to hide elements in that view.  There are lots of options that can then be applied to other views.  The whole point of Revit is to develop a 3d model that shows 3d elements correctly in the views, so that when things change there are less revisions to make.

Regards Peter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators