Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof with organic footprint and curved ridge line

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
nuverak
962 Views, 6 Replies

Roof with organic footprint and curved ridge line

Hi All, 

I want to create this shape roof with this organic shape and curved ridge. A simple loft by in-place mass between these 3 lines should do but all efforts in vain up till now. Im trying to achieve the effect as in the picture attach.

Please can anyone guide how to achieve this.

Thank you.

3.JPG1.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Do not select all the three curves at once, but do it select  curve 1 and 2 - and Create Form , then curve 2 and 3 - and Create Form , all in the same Mass Element. The ridge will be on cuve 2

Image 1.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 7

Thank you for response. 

Still doesn't work. Same error. 1.JPG

I have 3 such roofs. I tried modelling them in Sketchup but now can't seem to bring them into Revit as clean/un-triangulated surfaces.

Any help and guidance is really appreciated.

Message 4 of 7
barthbradley
in reply to: nuverak

Do one side of the ridge and then mirror to create other side. 

RM 1+2.png

Message 5 of 7
barthbradley
in reply to: barthbradley

...actually, I see that the other eave side is shaped differently. Instead of mirror, draw the eave shape for the other side, select it and the ridge line you used to create the first mass roof, and create form.  Now ridge line is shared.  

RMX.png

RMA.png

Message 6 of 7

there are several method to do this organic form...I've made three screencast that show these methods:

1. Mass Element by using Sweep with Profiles 
  2. Using Loft function - with extra Profiles to refine the Form
  3. Using a matrix of Reference Points with Distance parameters. In my screencast I've used only Z distance Parameter (Offset Parameter) but X, Y distance parameters can also be used , so to make a fully parametric family.

Roof or Wall by Face can be applied to the organic Surfaces . Wall by Face, usually,  gets a better result then Roof by Face....

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/e2362083-52c8-40ac-be65-7224aa89142a

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/57d0a3bb-ede2-4be1-ad52-07967f658298

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/a9dfd22d-276e-4379-b04e-b758dae91026

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 7 of 7

Thankyou for the detail solutions.

The loft method worked for me. 

I made a generic profile and moved the 'points' as per my foot print and form. 

The roof-by-face kept giving error, so for the time being I completed the form using wall-by-face. 

Thank you everyone for your responses. 1.JPG

2.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators