Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof plane by 3 points

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
panastos
300 Views, 5 Replies

Roof plane by 3 points

I want to create a roof by using 3 points. This must be a planar roof I can use as a work plane, I cannot use shape editing.

What is the best method to do this? I'd love to create a reference plane, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do one using 3 points in Revit, which is... surprising. 

Is there a Dynamo solution?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
syman2000
in reply to: panastos

Can you post a screenshot what you want to achieve?

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 3 of 6
panastos
in reply to: syman2000

What I would really like is to model a reference plane with 3 points... not sure how I could illustrate that. Maybe I could try to just rotate a flat plane in 2 different views?

But in terms of the roof, maybe I can describe it a little better. If I am not using a reference plane, I want to model a rectangular roof by specifying 4 sketch lines in plan and then creating a slope by specifying the elevation at 3 of the points. The roof has a diagonal slope.

Message 4 of 6
syman2000

Easiest way is to use adaptive 3 point family. Load it into your project. Then select the point and move to location you want.

syman2000_1-1697499012463.png

Afterward you click on set reference plane and pick the adaptive point surface as your plane.

syman2000_0-1697498968867.png

If you don't want the model to display, you can hide it and the points will still be there.

syman2000_2-1697499102186.png

After that, you can use the roof by face

syman2000_0-1697499257222.png

This will create your roof

syman2000_1-1697499306358.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 5 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

@panastos 

Why do you say that you cannot use shape editing? Can't you find out the elevation of the points in the project using Spot Elevation? and then can't you create a roof as a triangle, the footprint of the roof, and then elevate each corner to the correspondent elevation?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 6
panastos
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

@syman2000 

Thanks a lot, this works. It is a little finnicky to get the points in the right place, the snaps for some reason don't work in 3D, and you can't input the elevations directly. Also this only forms a triangle, to get a rectangle I had to extend the edges and cut out the shape I needed. Next time I might take a look at getting the family rectangular.

@Alfredo_Medina 

As I mentioned above, if you edit the shape, Revit no longer recognizes a plane and you can't use the face as a work plane (which with a bidirectional/diagonal slope is a must for modeling the framing.) I'm not sure if this is always the case or only if you edit it out of being planar, but with the 1/256" precision Revit uses (which is pretty strange to me), it would be extremely difficult to keep it planar regardless.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators