Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof Overhang Connecting to Roof below

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
dylanc619
668 Views, 17 Replies

Roof Overhang Connecting to Roof below

Hi,

I have a problem where i want a eave overhang, i have connected the walls to roof but its picking up the overhang bit in the walls as well,

Thanks

@ToanDN @constantin.stroescu 

dylanc619_0-1655131130496.png

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
barthbradley
in reply to: dylanc619

Not quite sure I understand the problem, but it sounds like you are having an issue with Attach Top of Wall to Roof.  If this is the case, then instead of using Roof as Attach target, use a Ref. Plane as Attach Target.  

...in other works, go to Elevation View of the Gable Side of the Roof, and draw Ref. Planes at the underside of the Roof and Attach your Walls to these RPs. 

NOTE: If you use this method with a Gable Wall, you need to split the Gable Wall down the middle and Attach each side independently.  

Message 3 of 18
dylanc619
in reply to: barthbradley

No so first i attached the wall to the roof and i just want a little overhang on the outside without the wall connecting to it. I dont want the bit in red connecting

dylanc619_0-1655132663551.png

Message 4 of 18
barthbradley

Huh? Are you saying the wall is too long - that it shouldn't protrude? If so, then align and lock the end of the Walls to the Wall perpendicular to it.   

...you wouldn't even need to lock it.  Enable auto join and walls will join.  

Message 5 of 18
dylanc619

Sorry yeah thats what i mean i dont want to protruding out, i cant align the wall because its locked to the shape of the roof and wont let me align it once the wall is connected with the roof.

Message 6 of 18
barthbradley

You have some constraint in place then.  Press Reveal Constraints to find it -- or just Detach Wall, reposition it, and Attach Top again.  

...or just post the file so we can troubleshoot without guess work.

Message 7 of 18
linkboy

In plan sketch edit mode, you can lock the roof overhung to the wall or move the overhung sketch to wherever you want.

linkboy_0-1655134500457.png

Message 8 of 18
dylanc619

The constraint is the roof cause im attaching the wall to it, Sorry im not explaining very well,

I built wall as one maybe i should of built walls on top of each other??

In this picture is how i built the wall as one then im just attaching wall to roof

dylanc619_0-1655134376312.png

Then When i attach it attaches to my over hang aswell because it is one wall, i don't want the bit in red i just want the little over hang with no wall under.

dylanc619_1-1655134702235.png

This is what i want in red, i had to build a wall on top of the other one to make this happen but don't want to do that i just want one wall.

dylanc619_2-1655135044831.png

Message 9 of 18
barthbradley

Out of curiosity, when you edit the Roof and select a sketch line segment, is "Overhang" available or grayed out?  

If it is available and not grayed out, then you created the Roof by using the Pick Walls Method.  That's where the constraint is coming from.  

Message 10 of 18
dylanc619

Yeah overhang is available i have a over hang of 250mm on it 

Message 11 of 18
barthbradley

Okay then, why don't you adjust the overhang there in sketch mode - not by moving walls? Or simply not sketch roof boundary using Pick Walls method?  Sounds like that constraint is hamstringing you.  

Message 12 of 18
dylanc619

Yeah i have tried both ways and no luck, yeah its the constraint of the attached walls that is getting me, 

I have fixed it with a wall opening but would prefer another way to fix it

dylanc619_0-1655136738222.png

Message 13 of 18
ToanDN

Do you want the full height + the parapet = one wall?

ToanDN_1-1655137031681.png

If so, make the overhang piece a different roof and join it to the main roof.  That way your wall only attaches to the extent of the main roof.  

With that said, I would model the parapet as a separate wall type because both side of the walls need to have exterior material versus the full height wall that have one exterior and one interior.

Message 14 of 18
barthbradley

Like I offered above, you are more welcome to post the RVT here.  Frankly, I'm still unclear what the issue is that you are describing.  

Message 15 of 18
barthbradley

SPLIT THE WALL and disable Auto Join (Disallow Join) between the two walls. Use Join Geometry to remove visible linework between the two Wall instead. 

Message 16 of 18
dylanc619
in reply to: ToanDN

Yeap that will work, Thanks for that

Message 17 of 18
dylanc619

I got that sorted, but thanks for your help👍

Message 18 of 18
linkboy
in reply to: ToanDN

This works. add Fascia on the gable side with extension off the main roof.  I believe this is the actual construction you expect to see in field.

roof sketch1.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report