Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof constriction

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
649 Views, 8 Replies

Roof constriction

Hi there. I am trying to create a pitched roof with the pitch at a specific place, i.e. not in the middle. This is what I've tried so far. First and second image show the roof pitched by sloping two lines. However as u see the ridge itself ( red line) is tilted and I want it to be aligned to the blue line. hope you understand. Then I tried using slope arrows, but as you see on image 3 and 4 (below) it's sloping at the connection with the wall. See red circle. How do I avoid this problem and align the ridge to the the blue line without that affecting the orange one.

4.png

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

I hope I understand you well..

is that what you want?

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

Image 3.png

Image 4.png

Image 5.png

if it is..then I used two roofs cutted by a Void Component and finally joined together

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Not really because there are not joined at the back either ( see pictures ) the offset is not only in the front as u drew it. Hope you understand problem is the pitch itself n the ridge alignment as explained. Hope that helps again
Message 4 of 9
chrisplyler

Assuming the tops of your exterior walls are at the same height and all level, the roof you desire is not geometrically possible with flat planes.

You would have to twist either the long side or the short side, depending on whether you want the ridges themselves to be constant height or sloped along their length. Which means you need to use the Roof by Face tool after you've modeled a mass with the right twist. This will significantly increase the cost and complexity of the roof.

In the following screencast I have made the ridges level, so the long sides of the roofs are getting twisted.

Message 5 of 9
constantin.stroescu

in addition of what Cris said I attach a geometry theorem .

In Chris screencast Y plane is Level 2 an

Image 2.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 6 of 9

I wish that denitsa would reply.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

HI sorry for the late reply. This was exactly what I was looking for, but I found an easier solution. Modify sub elements -> draw a split line ( where the ridge should be) n then using the handles elevating the split line to the desired point to create the pitch. -> with two clicks it was ready. Thanks for your post anyway it was helpful.
Message 8 of 9
chrisplyler

That will certainly work for the top planes. However you are left with a flat bottom all the way across, and a roof element of very large volume, right? Maybe that's fine for your purposes? I would need to be showing attic space, a separate ceiling, etc.

And still the long side must be twisted. Does this not bother you? Are you not concerned with how this will actually be built?

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

yeah the ceiling at that point is high indeed but that's my point I realize it gets twisted but I couldn't find another solution for the plans I have already made. With the degree of pitch I'm not a big of a gap as you in your example so I hope by using CLT panels cut b design it should work. Structural engineer hasn't seen that though so it's a bit of a blur right now. This a student project so cost is not relevant.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators