Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rhino 3D solids to Revit geometry

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Helvetier
402 Views, 4 Replies

Rhino 3D solids to Revit geometry

Hello everyone,

I'm new here in the forum 😊

I have been modeling in Rhino 3D together with the VisualARQ plugin for years. My focus is on 3D laser scanning evaluations in existing buildings. All wall elements or ceilings, stairs/railings are cleanly modeled, closed solids. The classic 2D evaluation is of course also part of this.

Why am I writing this in a Revit forum!

I have the following problem: More and more customers want to receive a Revit file from me or a file with which they can continue working directly. A classic IFC 2x3 file is pretty worthless because it cannot be edited (I've already read and heard that). I want the best for Revit users!!! How do you deal with this? What is the best format to export to? A DWG/DXF file with a constant layer structure (LAYER Wall = all walls, etc...)?

I am allowed to use Revit 2020 from another office. Is there a way for me to import and assign the elements cleanly so that I can then submit a Revit file?

I would be very grateful for your help.

Best regards
Helvetier

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
j0hnp
in reply to: Helvetier

Being in Revit 2020 is going to be a bit limiting in your case. Revit 2022 introduced the ability to bring in .3dm files, so if you can get into that version, you will be able to work directly in Revit.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-FF31FB29-EEC3-4A54-AA21-E7505FFA95D2

Beyond that, you might be able to install older versions of the following tools to try to "translate" the geometry. (in no particular order)

john.pierson

expert elite / design technologist / dynamo package creator

designtechunraveled.com

Message 3 of 5
Helvetier

Thank you very much for your help. This is good news!
How is it for Revit users to work with 3DM data? I would be very interested!

Message 4 of 5

Additionally, if you work with Revit 2023 we introduced the concept of Data Exchanges. Data Exchanges are fileless containers of data which can be used for interoperability between multiple connected clients. Within Data Exchange we connectors for Revit, Rhino, Dynamo, Grasshopper, Tekla, Power Bi, Inventor, etc.. 

With this workflow, you can create a Data Exchange in Rhino and then load that Data Exchange into Revit. With direct Revit->Rhino Data Exchanges the elements are loaded as DirectShapes so they are not editable beyond simple custom parameters.  To achieve editing workflows you can use Rhino->Dynamo->Revit which enables great flexibility and possibilities. 

To access the Data Exchange connectors you can download from the Autodesk App Store, and also learn more here.

Message 5 of 5
Helvetier

Thank you very much, that is also a great solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report