Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Toposurface from dwg contours

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Shanny9
366 Views, 5 Replies

Revit Toposurface from dwg contours

I have a survey dwg file with 3D contours that are polylines drawn at correct elevations.

I am attempting to generate a Revit toposurface from the imported contours. 

Under "insert" I have tried both import CAD and Link CAD.  Followed by going to "Massing and Site", toposurface, create from import. I am sure to only pick the contour layer which has only contours on it. 

My toposurface essentially creates a triangle surface with only 3 points and is not reading the contour data. 

I have zero experience with Revit so this is likely something I am doing wrong.  Is there a certain template file I should be using? Or something else I am missing?

I've attached the photo that shows the green contours compared to the brown toposurface.  I also attached the CAD file containing the contours.

I have tried this with multiple different dwg files containing contours and get similar results. Please help me as I have wasted 1.5 work days on what should have been a 10 minute job.

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ToanDN
in reply to: Shanny9

What is the Units of the drawing (feet or meters)?  I used feet for units when link and here is what i got.

ToanDN_1-1684190327697.png

ToanDN_2-1684190379439.png

ToanDN_0-1684190284133.png

Message 3 of 6
Shanny9
in reply to: ToanDN

The CAD file is meters

Message 4 of 6
ToanDN

@Shanny9 wrote:

The CAD file is meters

It works the same.  Follow the steps above and choose meters instead of feet.

Message 5 of 6
Shanny9
in reply to: ToanDN

Wow okay! I would not have picked feet considering it is a metric file. This has definitely improved my surface creation to be much more accurate! 

Does that mean the file is now in imperial units?

Thanks You!

Message 6 of 6
ToanDN

@Shanny9 wrote:

Wow okay! I would not have picked feet considering it is a metric file. This has definitely improved my surface creation to be much more accurate! 

Does that mean the file is now in imperial units?

Thanks You!

No.  If the file is metric then use meters, not feet.  The steps are the same regardless of the Units.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report