Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Printer Install Error

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2732 Views, 6 Replies

Revit Printer Install Error

On certain drawings that I try to print, I get the following error message

"Before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to install a printer. Do you want to install a printer now?"

This happens only with some files, and other files are fine for printing.

I have all service packs installed and up to date

What could be causing this issue?

Wojtek
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
michael.freeman2T5SF2
in reply to: Anonymous

I am having the exact same issue. Has there been any solution to this? I tried it on another PC and although it printed (to PDF) 2 out of the 3 drawings, the last one failed. Then the message appeared. I am currently using Revit LT 2020 and on my colleagues computer, it was on LT 2021.

Message 3 of 7
emodderman

I think this might not be a Revit issue, but a printer issue in general. There are a couple articles related to Adobe with the same error. Might be useful to try some of these solutions:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/150784-acrobat-pro-error-before-you-can-perform-print-relate...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-printing-from-pdf-to-printer-with-wind...

Message 4 of 7
jagostinho74

We started having the same issue at the company with one user. And now with two users as another person was asked to PDF some sheets.

Getting exactly the same behaviour as mentioned by @michael.freeman2T5SF2 

Assistant BIM/CAD Manager

Manchester, UK

Message 5 of 7
uijaz3SL4N

Hi I am getting the same error on RVT 2020. What's worse is that when I try to print anything from Adobe Acrobat, I get the same error. My coworker tried to export sheets from the same model on his computer and is also having this issue now. When we open the printers & scanners page under settings, all of our printers are marked as "not connected". Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Message 6 of 7

I have managed to find the cause and solution. If the Printer Spooler has stopped working and its not able to restart, follow the below and hopefully this should fix your problem:

1. Open File Explorer
  2. Go to the following location within the ‘C Drive’: C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
  3. Delete all files within the ‘PRINTERS’ folder
  4. Open up task manager by pressing CTRL, SHIFT & ESC at the same time
  5. Enter credentials as an administrator
  6. Click on the Services tab and scroll down the list until you find Spooler (Description ‘Print Spooler’).
  7. Right click and select ‘Start’
  8. Close window. Your printers should now be up and running.
Message 7 of 7

This actually works - Thanks so much for taking the time to share this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report