Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit on MacBook Pro 13

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
15720 Views, 10 Replies

Revit on MacBook Pro 13

Hello.

I'm system administrator. I have to buy laptop for Revit with 13"inch display. I know, it's stupid, but company want so I do it.

I stopped at MacBook Pro 2015 with dual-core i7 processor (3,1 GHz), 16Gb RAM, Intel Iris Pro 6100 and SSD storage.

As I saw, Revit needed quard-core processor for comfortable work, so there is my question: Can employee work on it with comfort? Or maybe someone know any other laptop for comfortable work with Revit?

Thank.

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
dzanta
in reply to: Anonymous

It would be preferrable if your system has as much processing power and RAM as you can afford.  The higher the better.  This power comes into play when you need to do rendering, analysis and other high end tasks.  The graphics card is also critical because if it is not certiified to run the Autodesk software with the correct drivers, the system will not display the information properly and can even make the system lag in response time.  A SSD hard drive is logical because they are much faster than the traditional spinning blades.

Since this is a Mac, you will need to get Parallels Desktop and install Windows 7 or 8 Pro on it.  Revit by default isn't designed to run on a Mac natively so most people use a VM software within their Mac to run Revit properly.  Make sure you allot lost of memory for the VM session when running Revit.

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 3 of 11
Keith_Wilkinson

That will probably do what you need but bear in mind that you will need to run Parallels or something similiar to get Revit running as there isn't a native Mac version.

Personally I have a Dell Precision M4800 (link below) which works really well but it's a beast to carry around so consider how the laptop will be used.  The are plent of other offerings in this category by the likes of Lenovo and HP.

http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/precision-m4800-workstation/pd

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Keith_Wilkinson

Thank all for reply.

I'll install Windows on Boot Camp. I want use macbook, becose it's most powerful 13" laptop that I found.

15" laptops have many good models for Revit, but I'm still trying to convince my boss to buy it. If I do it - we'll buy a normal workstation.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

did you finally buy the Mac 13"? I just bought a dell xps 13" and it crashes with Revit because of the video card. So I am curious to hear if it works on a (price wise) comparable Mac.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

I use it for over four months now and it works fine.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Are you using bootcamp? Revit is fluid? How is it working in rendering? Is it fast? I am thinking on buying a mac pro, but i need revit everyday, i would use bootcamp, but i dont know if worth it 😞
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Will the Revit work efficiently if I install Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro using boot camp? 

Message 9 of 11
maxi-flores

dnairVDVSX Yes it works!, it is important to boot your mac pro first. after that it is a question of installing, setting up a template and being ready for use.

I use Revit 2016 on my Mac pro (15 inch, 2016 touchbar 2,7GHz intel core i7, 16GB ram)  it will work in Windows 10 pro.

It looks nice and works really smooth. Everything is a little bit smaller compared to the pc.

Message 10 of 11
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

Please see Autodesk recommended specifications HERE

Regards,

Message 11 of 11
Varrya
in reply to: maxi-flores

Hi, how it works with Revit now?  Do you updated to Revit 2019 (or 2020)?
I think to buy Macbook Pro MF839KH/A 
Macbook Pro 13-inch , Mid 2015
Force touch

Broadwell 2.7 GHz i5 (5257U)

8 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Graphic 6100

128 GB SSD

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators