Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

revit interior walls

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
rclement
1359 Views, 8 Replies

revit interior walls

I would like to know since I'm new to revit why when I do want to create

interior walls why revit goes to the center of the wall? even though I pick finish face interior or even exterior..

if I do in autocad vanilla you can do interior walls dimensions. I would like to have same dimensions without adding the center to center dimensions of the wall thickness?

am I missing a setting?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
D_Slaa
in reply to: rclement

If I am right it is dimensioning you are having troubles with? On the options bar when you are doing dimensions you can change your snap setting. Also hitting tab when hovering over a part of the wall changes where you will snap to.

Message 3 of 9
barthbradley

Two things: 1) Monitor your Options Bar when drawing walls; there you can indicate the wall justification to use. 2) Go to Temporary Dimension Properties under Additional Settings on the Manage Tab; there can change where Temporary Dimensions measure from (e.g. Finish Faces or Core Faces). 

One strong word of advice: do your initial wall layout using a compound layered wall type with at least 1 Exterior Finish layer and 1 Interior Finish layer -- even if no finish layer is to be applied. You can swap it out later for the correct wall type. This will insure your wall justifications are maintained as you develop the model. 

Message 4 of 9
rclement
in reply to: barthbradley

I will try and see if thgis is what I want. ty for taking the time out

Message 5 of 9
rclement
in reply to: D_Slaa

what I'm having problems with is if I have a autocad drawing with interior wall dimensions of say 13'-2" when it comes to revit it starts off at the center of the wall to center of wall. then I would have to substract wall thickness to get that 13'-2"

Message 6 of 9
barthbradley

You're tracing AutoCAD walls? You shouldn't have to do a bunch of math for this. Just place your Revit walls on top of the AutoCAD linework using Pick Lines method  --- and, of course, the correct wall justification. 

Message 7 of 9
rclement
in reply to: barthbradley

Yes i can link a autocad dwg.but i just wanted to do from scratch and was wondering why i couldnt get interior wall dimensions.
Message 8 of 9
cbcarch

When placing walls and dimensioning them, under Annotate Tab>Aligned>Pick:

You can choose Wall Centerlines, Wall Faces ( which is what you want) , Center of Core or Faces of core.

Also, when placing dimensions, you can use the Tab key to select different faces of a compound element such as a wall, floor, roof, ceiling, etc.

Hope this helps.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 9 of 9
barthbradley

I think I may have misunderstood you. You're talking wall length and joining behavior I believe. When you lay out your walls, choose "Disallow Join" on the Option Bar so that you can control the precise wall segments lengths. You can always Allow Join later or, just use the Join tool on the Modify Tab to eliminate the visible, overlapping edges.  

...this is what I'm suggesting:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/getting-started/caas/screencast/Main/Details/1...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators