Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit basics - infill walls

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
marek_obajtek
721 Views, 8 Replies

Revit basics - infill walls

Hi, I would like to recreate my last project as a Revit learning path. What would be the best practice for drawing infill non-load-bearing walls integrated with structural concrete? I have attached a small portion of my exterior walls 2D drawing. Drawing each part separately doesn't appear to be the most effective approach(?) Inserting columns? Topic link 

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

If the detail level of the view is set to Coarse, you can define a fill pattern for your walls in the Edit Type window of the wall type. If the detail level is medium or fine, you define fill patterns in the properties of the wall's materials. If you want to represent batt insulation, that cannot be done nicely with the methods that I mentioned. However, for batt insujlation you need to choose something generic. Otherwise you need to draw the insulation with the line-based detail component that Revit provides under the Annotate tab.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your answer. I think my English was the problem. I was actually referring to the actual modeling. When the building is already built, I know the project is complete. I'm learning Revit and my first question is about modeling exterior walls. These are brick walls, but they are interrupted by uneven columns, structural cores. Display doesn't matter. I draw a 1-meter brick wall, a 24-centimeter concrete wall, a 60-centimeter brick wall, a 48-centimeter concrete wall... Should I draw everything as brick and insert structural columns on top? I also create columns of different dimensions. What's the standard practice in industry?

Message 4 of 9

I see. Well, if you want to save time, instead of drawing short segments of walls, you can draw continuous walls, and then place structural columns in between. The walls will look as if they are interrupted by the columns.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Message 5 of 9

Structural Columns? If so, I'd place the Structural Columns first and then the Walls between then.  If the Columns are more an  Architectural feature. like Pilasters, I would model the Walls first and then place the Architectural Columns.   

...a good rule of thumb is to model it in Revit the way it will be built in the field. 

Message 6 of 9

So, I guess in a scenario where you are hiring a drafter to model your 2D CAD files into Revit, both solutions are on the table? Nothing else? Will other industries be satisfied? I'm new to this, but I can do it the hard way, but well. I don't use architecture columns in this project. 

Message 7 of 9

@marek_obajtek wrote:

So, I guess in a scenario where you are hiring a drafter to model your 2D CAD files into Revit, both solutions are on the table? Nothing else? Will other industries be satisfied? I'm new to this, but I can do it the hard way, but well. I don't use architecture columns in this project. 

Well, like I said, a good rule of thumb is to model it the way it will be constructed.  Understanding the construction is a critical aspect of the job.  Most everyone can draw. Not everyone understands what they are drawing.   

Message 8 of 9

If you're asking for the most accepted best practice to do this, is what @barthbradley said. Put your structural columns first. Then model the walls in between, even if they are short segments, it does not matter. The method that I mentioned in my previous post will save you some time (which is what you were asking, please correct me if I'm wrong), but it's not how most Revit users will do it.

Message 9 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: marek_obajtek

Place structural columns first then draw continuous wall running through the structural columns.  The benefits are:

- you saving time drawing the wall

- when you need to relocate the wall you only need to do it for one wall instead of multiple walls between columns

- graphically you still see walls between structural columns

- if you want to schedule correct materials for the wall you can always join it with structural columns then the volume will be subtracted

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report