Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Asks to Synchronize After Synchronizing

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
4481 Views, 21 Replies

Revit Asks to Synchronize After Synchronizing

While it doesn't seem to do any harm to synchronize more than once, some of the people here at the office often get annoyed by this issue and it is a bit time consuming on some of our larger projects. The issue is that the users synchronize their files to their central models, proceed to close the files and are immediately prompted to synchronize the file again even though they just synchronized. Is there an issue causing Revit to not register the sync or a reason this occurs with files?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Try saving first in your local after synching and relinquish. Hope this helps

Message 3 of 22
SteveKStafford

Users might be becoming owners of worksets instead of borrowers. If they don’t know the difference then a refresher on concepts is a good idea.

Of the two options to sync using Synchronize Now never relinquishes User Created work sets. For that reason I never use it. Using Synchronize and Modify Settings will open a dialog and provide an opportunity to relinquish everything, including User Created worksets.

It (the dialog) also provides an opportunity to add a comment which I encourage everyone to do. It is useful for trouble shooting as well as a way to review progress (when used well).

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: SteveKStafford

One of our users in particular who brought the issue up is working in a project where the worksets are still set to non-editable and nobody seems to have ownership of the workset. He is also using Synchronize and Modify Settings to sync the model. I opened the model myself and the model does the same to me. I sync the model, proceed to close the file and am prompted to re-sync again, saying I have made changes to the model since the last sync. I can't seem to figure out what in the models cause Revit to register a change that wasnt made.

Message 5 of 22
SteveKStafford

Interesting, what is the specific message?

I'd like to know what you find when:

• SwC (using Synchronize and Modify)
  • Open the Worksets dialog
  • Show all worksets
  • Scan for any usernames listed

Are there linked files?

Steve Stafford
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

I have included a screenshot of my Sync and Modify dialogue box, as well as the worksets ordered by borrower. There are also 4 Revit links and 5 DWG links in the project. When i try to close the local file, I get a message saying I have made changes to the model that have not been synchronized with the central model and asks me to either synchronize or close the local file. I have attached a screenshot of the message as well. If I click cancel and Synchronize the model and try closing again immediately after the sync is complete, it still pops the message up telling me there are changes that need to be synced. No matter what, the message pops up when I close the model.

sync.pngWorksets.pngclose file.png

Message 7 of 22
SteveKStafford

Safe to assume none of those borrowers are you?

I see Keynoting Settings is borrowed. Is a 3rd party tool being used to work with Keynotes, like Keynote Manager? If so are you using it's syncing and/or cloud hosted features? If yes, then it may be changing something and waving a change flag.

When you close the file and the dialog appears does choosing the top option, Synchronize with Central, successfully close the file after doing so?

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous

That's correct, none of those borrowers are me. I never installed Keynote Manager on this particular machine that I'm working on. I believe the some of the users in our remote office working on the model are using Keynote Manger, though I'm unsure if that would affect my file since I don't have it installed. I checked the Worksets after syncing when it said I made changes and I don't see it saying I borrowed any of them. Clicking Synchronize with Central when closing the file does successfully close the file.

Message 9 of 22
SteveKStafford

Okay thanks. I don't know that Keynote Manager would cause it but if the file is actively being altered it might be recognized as different and needing reconciliation. If the other users all SwC and nobody is listed...it would be interesting to see if it still happens to you...in other words while working alone.

Still up for some more guessing?

What happens when you unload links? You could start with all of them and see if it still happens or you could do one at a time until all are unloaded.

Another possibility though a stretch, what's your network situation? Same office, same office as the file? Revit Server? Collaboration for Revit?

I've encountered small firms that didn't have a full fledged network and they experienced spotty file access at times. I also ran into a situation where one part of an office was served by a switch that was going bad. Those users lost their connection frequently and that affected their saving, among other things. Their IT folks tracked it down and they replaced the switch, problem vanished. Unfortunately we only chased that angle after we convinced ourselves that it wasn't Revit. It did help that a few people remembered and mentioned they had issues with other kinds of documents and accessing their printer...more clues.

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Message 10 of 22
gburr

We are having the same issue with some of the Revit files in our office. While not a big deal it is a bit annoying having to do a Synchronize when you close the file, even when it has just been Synchronized.

For us it seems to be happening to Revit files that have had a "Too many missing elements" error. http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-9AFAAE6B-4107-4478-8B80-53467FE118DB

This happened on a few of our projects before the Revit 2017.2 update was installed. In all cases we have been unable to open the latest copy of the file and have had restore a previous version.

So I'm not sure if anyone can shed any light on this. Could the missing elements error be causing Revit to think that changes have been made to the file after the Synchronization?

Message 11 of 22
SteveKStafford
in reply to: gburr

Hard to give a good answer. Revit is doing it because its synchronization process recognizes elements are still borrowed and it responds by trying to protect the data and resolve the status. It may be annoying but I'd make sure I synchronize if warned. You can probably save a step by just choosing Close and responding to the initial SwC warning. If it closes without another warning it should be sorted out. You could save Locally before doing so if that provides a measure of comfort.

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Message 12 of 22

I'm running into a similar situation and I'm not exactly sure what's going on either.

In an effort to fix the problem (as well as just a regular good practice to clean up errors) I had everyone save and relinquish and close out of Revit.

I then opened the file detached and did a save as to re-create the central file.  Once it was saved. I closed.  No warnings.

Next I opened the file with the create new local box check and audit, opened all worksets (as I was still the owner) did s STC and relinquished all my.  It said the STC was successful.  I opened the workest dialog box, picked on all the check boxes to double check that no one owned anything.  Nothing was borrowed or owned.  I did a STC again and tried to close the model.  When I closed I was getting the warning that my local changes weren't saved back to the central file.  I did a STC again, it said the STC was successful, tried to close and got the same error again.  

Any thoughts?

Message 13 of 22
andybrack
in reply to: dtpeter2901

I'm having the same issue as well. Did anybody ever get to the bottom on this one?  When syncing, the save completes just fine, but when closing I get the dialog box indicating that the STC is required before closing. I checked the worksets dialog box, no objects, worksets, project settings, etc.  Nothing is checked out.

Is there any other way to find out if elements are owned?

-Andy

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: andybrack

Hi,

I have the same problem. 

This morning I got a corrupt central file after syncing with Compact Central Model. 

I have made a new central file, and now the file asks to sync before closing the file. 

Any ideas - really annoying. 

Thanks

Message 15 of 22
SteveKStafford

This other related thread might help. I described how a corrupt family appeared to be the cause of the sync > sync issue. Autodesk has a knowledge base topic on it too.

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous

Hi,

Any solution to this. 

Have the same problem in Revit 2018

Message 17 of 22
jwp0015

We've been having these issues since using Revit 2017.  Most of our projects do not have this issue, but a handful do.  What seems to often trigger it is when we rename the model.  For instance, we have "Project A v2018" and it has no sync issues.  If we rename the model to "Project A v2018 - MEP" we will begin getting sync errors.  Typical method of renaming is to open the model detached and save as new central model with the new name, then close and delete the original model (and make sure everyone creates new local copies). 

Any ideas are appreciated.

Message 18 of 22
SteveKStafford

If your file's issue is a corrupt family or families then you'll need to look at the link's recommendations. I've not ever reconciled the issue with just making a new central file, but you can try doing that first.

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: jwp0015

Only 2017?  I've been having this issue for years.  Chalked it up to a Revit quirk I can't control.  I save, but if I zoom a little bit it wants me to save again.  A lot like Autocad.

Message 20 of 22
SteveKStafford

I've only run into it three times in the last twelve months. In each case it was a corrupt family. Once I dealt with the family it stopped doing it. It is not normal. It can be ignored but you might find you can't open the file at some point if ignored too long. That's what happen on one project. We had to restore the file and then track down the family, using the Save Library approach to see which family Revit was objecting to. All three situations were doors. I don't know if that is significant, might be.

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report