Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2024 - Closed project, but links are still active

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tfaltermeier
313 Views, 5 Replies

Revit 2024 - Closed project, but links are still active

I do a lot of model setups, which typically include up to 5 linked projects for a project model. 

Started working in Revit 2024 recently, and I keep running into "Linked file cannot be loaded because it is loaded into another open document"   This happens even after I closed the only project file I had open at the time.  Revit seems to keep the linked files active after the project is closed.  I can go into transfer project standards and see the last 15 or so linked models I had been working with prior, even though none of them are open or linked to the project I'm working on.  

The only thing I can do is close Revit completely and start it up again each time I want to open another project file. It feels like such a waste of time.  I suppose one of my add-ons could be the culprit, but before I call IT in to start testing them, I wanted to see if anyone else is having this problem?

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @handjonathan Original: Closed project, but links are still active]

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
barthbradley
in reply to: tfaltermeier

@tfaltermeier wrote:

This happens even after I closed the only project file I had open at the time. 

Huh? Something doesn't compute here. Are you saying that are getting this message when NO other instances of the RVT are open?  

You know, I do often get a message upon opening a Family that tells me "this file it open for editing by another user" when it's NOT.   I can continue though.  Apparently, you cannot in your case.  

I'd suggest opening a support case on this through your autodesk.manage.com account portal.   Let us know what they say tell if you will please. 

Following...

Message 3 of 6
tfaltermeier

Yes, this happens when I have nothing else open. 

Thank you for your advice, I will reach out to them.

Message 4 of 6
tfaltermeier

Replaced the revit.ini file on my virtual desktop and so far my issue has been resolved. 

Message 5 of 6
barthbradley

@tfaltermeier wrote:

Replaced the revit.ini file on my virtual desktop and so far my issue has been resolved. 

Interesting. Do you know what setting changed?  I can find no setting in the INI File that would cause the issue you described.  

Message 6 of 6
David_W_Koch

For what it is worth, this happens to me as well.  It is as if the instance of Revit continues to consider the closed model and its links as being open in some way.  Closing Revit and opening a fresh instance resolves the issue, but that takes time, which I would prefer to spend on tasks other than waiting for Revit to open.

Usually, running separate instances of Revit avoids the issue, although I have had the issue there on occasion as well.  Perhaps both instances were open in the same processor core?  (Pure conjecture on my part, without any backing evidence.)

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report