Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2018 what is the big idea behind "Coordination models"...

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
crullier
725 Views, 3 Replies

Revit 2018 what is the big idea behind "Coordination models"...

..and how is it better or what is it advantage compared to IFC.

Revit 2018 has the new "coordination model" which allow you to bring NWC/NWD into revit to "create" context. 

Yes while I do understand that idea and it possibly works form a visualization point on view, I can not seem to find a practical use for it during the development of a project.

Unless I am missing a feature workflow, it appears to me that you cannot snap to those models, you cannot measure them.. They are just a "pretty picture" on your screen. Even cutting sections leaves something to be desired.

I am hoping autodesk development can chime in, because I was very excited about this feature but I can not say I find it useful at this time.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: crullier

Yes, you're right, currently you cannot snap to the coordination models, or either measure them, and yes, they provide for an excellent means to visually coordinate with outside teams who provide files that are not in native Revit format.Which is more or less the same as the IFC functionality.

But, when project data includes Navisworks(NWD and NWC) files, you can link these model into Revit projects for coordination purposes, it also allows for any Navisworks supported file format to be included within the coordination model link. So, I guess the purpose of the function is mostly to add Naviswork files to the Revit supported file, beacuse it is only possible to save Geometry in Navisworks as DWF, DWFX, FBX, NWD, NWC and Google Earth KML files, exporting IFC files from Naviswork is not supported.

I hope this helped with your Q/A.

Best Regards,

M.H/

Message 3 of 4
Chad-Smith
in reply to: crullier

I'm kind of wondering the same thing.

In this example the structure in red are Revit elements, and the other coloured elements are from an MEP .NWC file.

2017-04-26 16_19_35-Autodesk Revit 2018 - [3D View_ Audubon_Structure - Audubon_Structure_Central.rv.png

Message 4 of 4
crullier
in reply to: Anonymous

I get that, but unless I can interact with such models there is no "coordination"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report