Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referenced callouts lose their reference after Copied/Pasted to another view

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
2103 Views, 13 Replies

Referenced callouts lose their reference after Copied/Pasted to another view

I have a series of "Referenced callouts" placed on one floor plan and want to repeat referencing the same callouts on other floors as well. When I copy and paste these callouts into a new floor plan, they all change their reference to the main floor plan view and not the call out itself.

Any suggestions or work around for referencing callouts on multiple views without going through the same process and choosing the referencing view every time?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you using Clipboard Copy/Paste?  Are you talking about Copying Callouts that Reference Other View? 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Yes the callouts are referencing other views. 

And about copying method: Yes, either Ctrl C/V or from the Revit Modify toolbar and I tried all paste options (aligned, selected views, etc) as well. I'm not aware of any other method.

Message 4 of 14
barthbradley

The Reference Other View to shouldn't be changing if you are Coping/Pasting the Callout between Views. Should read the exact same. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Agreed, it should not. But it does.

To recap:

- Created a callout on 1st Floor plan (A-101)

- Callout placed on Sheet A-601

- Went to 2nd Floor and referenced Callout A-601 manually. Callout matches the same A-601 number.

- Copied the referenced callout from 2nd floor plan

- Went to 3rd floor and pasted. Now this copied reference is referencing 1st Floor plan A-101.

If I copy/paste on the same floor plan there's no issue. It only happens when copied to another view.

The floorplans which the callout was made on are all original. There is no parent or dependency associated with the floor plans.

I have no idea what prompts it to this strange behavior. 

Message 6 of 14
barthbradley

Same results here.  But not a show-stopper.  Reference Other View can be changed via drop-down.  

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

I have many views (+50) that need to be referenced on on a 7 floor plans. In my mind it was going to be a x7 paste steps now it's a 7 days kind of show changing every single reference manually.

But thanks for trying and confirming the issue, I thought I was doing something wrong.

And can't believe this glitch has not been addressed before by Autodesk.

Message 8 of 14
ToanDN

Create the original Callout view as Detail View, not Plan View.

The reason is that a Callout Plan view has Associated Level and View range whereas a Detail view only has Far clipping.

Message 9 of 14
syman2000

I assume you are using callout that reference to specific view. If you don't, this method will not work.

Callout that reference to specific view can be copied to multiple level. The trick is to use COPY AND ALIGNED TO SAME PLACE.

First select it and copy it

Callout with Reference to viewCallout with Reference to view

Go to other level and paste it using the ALIGNED TO THE SAME PLACE

Copy and use Aligned to same placeCopy and use Aligned to same place

The result is your callout will display the same value.

resultresult

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: syman2000

@syman2000  Thanks and yes I have already tried that and all other methods of copying. What you are showing in the example is a detail/drafting callout and works if that's the case.

What I have in my scenario is Floor plan callout (a typical developed Unit in a building that repeats on multiple floors). I will have to continue using Floor plan callout and not detail callout because of other shortcomings of Revit like showing Elevations, etc.

I've come to conclusion that for a mysterious reason a reference floorplan callout will not behave the same as detail callout and have to manually re-reference them all to the same view.

Message 11 of 14
syman2000

You can use plan callout. However if you want to reference to the previous plan callout, you have to use callout>reference to view. Then copy this reference to view and go to the next level and paste align to same place.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: syman2000

@syman2000 

It doesn't work for the plan view and that is the issue.

If you follow the same method that you screenshotted above but as a floorplan callout, the newly pasted callout will reference the overal plan not the callout itself. 

It works when copy the reference callout and pasted in the same view but another level.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE WHILE TRYING TO COPY BETWEEN RCP'S, WAS THERE ANY OTHER CONCLUSION TO THIS? PRETTY ANNOYING AS I HAVE TO DO THE SAME FOR GA PLANS NEXT...🤔

Message 14 of 14
Pratyush.Golchha

Hey @Anonymous , 
Did you find a solution to this?

Im also doing this exercise, what a waste of time for a simple copy/paste

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report