Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ref plane Vs. Ref line

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
11066 Views, 5 Replies

Ref plane Vs. Ref line

Hi,

In all the familieis that I've created, I used only ref planes...when do I need to use ref lines? the manual I have says that ref lines are similar to ref planes but have distinct start and end points...I'm still not really sure what this means.

Also in families, parameters, when do I use Type instead of Instance? any examples?

Many thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, I hope this will help. I use reference line if I’m going to create a model that has a moving parameters that will associate by line (sample door swing or line base parameters) I also use this if I want to put some parameters on my generic annotation family. But mostly we often use the reference plane for the parameter constrain. For the standard model. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
loboarch

Because a reference line has logical endpoints (as opposed to a reference plane which does not) you can lock the end points into position and you can use angle types of parameters on them.  So the door swing example is a good one.  Any family where you need the plane of the geoemtry to be able to rotate, you will need to use a reference line for that condition.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks a lot Jeff, Are you please able to give me a small file to demonstrate how the ref line will work with the door swing?

Also in families, parameters, when do I use Type instead of Instance? any examples?

We're about to start a very big stadium on RAC 2011 and have those queries as urgent.

Many thanks

Message 5 of 6
loboarch

Attached is a door family with an adjustable swing in the plan view.  It uses a reference line to do this.  It could not be done with a reference plane at all.

Instance vs. type parameters is a bit more of a tricky question.  This really depends on how you want to handle your families and information on a family.  The main difference is an instance parameter is a change to the single entity.  A type parameter allows change to many elements all at one time.

So for example the hardware function or grouping for a door would probably be an instance parameter.  each door has a unique condition that requires a different kind of hardware setup.  The door finish might be something that is a type parameter.  All the doors will be painted white, or all of the doors will be stained natural.  This kind of change is probably somethign that would be project wide or happen on many doors all at one time.  Making this a type parameter would let you make that change very quickly without the need to make the change manually to each door.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Got you. Thanks again for your quick reply.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators