Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend workflow for multi-building project when buildings move

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
vanessaH6CHC
307 Views, 3 Replies

Recommend workflow for multi-building project when buildings move

I have a project with 4 buildings. They are all separate models that link into one main model that has the siteworks in it. I am in Revit 2023.

3 of my 4 building are shifting on the site. One of them is in the model with the siteworks so its straightforward. I intend to move it by the 4' required and check my annotation in each sheet which I think should work.

The remaining 2 are linked. Should I shift them in their files or only shift and pin the linked models in the siteworks file? Is there another idea that is even better?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

My approach, which is something we have used successfully in two new very large theme parks full of buildings:

Each building is its own package, an architectural model with structure and MEP models linked into architecture. Repeat that scheme for as many buildings there are on the site. All production, annotations, sheets, are produced in those models.

Then, there is a "...-Site.rvt" which contains the topography and a footprint of all buildings. This Site.rvt is linked into the architectural model of each building, and then the site link is moved and rotated as needed, until the footprint from the site matches the building. Check correct position of the site in sections view as well. Then, acquire coordinates from the site link. 

Then in ...Site.rvt, we link the architectural model by shared coordinates. The building will be at the correct position.

Then consultants acquire coordinates from each architectural model.

Repeat the above steps for each building

Now, when a building needs to move: in Site.rvt, designers define the new location of the building. The footprint is relocated. 

In the architectural model of the building that needs to move, use Manage > Coordinates > Reset shared coordinates, to break the relationship between the architectural model and Site.rvt. Now, move and rotate the Site so that the new footprint matches the building again. Check correct position of the site in sections view as well. Now select the site and do Acquire coordinates.

Now in Site.rvt, select the building that moved, from Properties, open the dialog box for shared coordinates, and select Move to: same named location > ok. Now the building moves to the updated position. 

Consultants should do something similar: Manage > Coordinates > Reset shared coordinates > align architectural model to their model, x, y, z, and Acquire coordinates from the architectural link.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 4

Hello sir, I'm sorry that I'm replying here for something completely off topic, but I wasn’t sure how to make a post of my own. I see that you're a person that is well versed in using Revit, and I have a question about the software. I'm in a class to aquire a certification for using this program and the professor changed the window inset depth on his project, yet when I select the window and then select edit type I'm not given the option to edit said window depth. Do you know how I'd be able to? 

Message 4 of 4

@dominicwiener01 ,

Please create a new thread with this question. On the upper left corner of the page, click on Post to Forums, put a title to the thread and compose your question.

Alfredo_Medina_0-1710975328209.png

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report