Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Railing extents

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
575 Views, 7 Replies

Railing extents

Hello everybody,

I would like to set extents to my railing, which is a special one. It's supposed to be just a wooden plank for fall protection in a facade opening, which they attach to both adjacent walls. Neither am I using hand- or toprails.
So it doesn't have any baluster. I don't want extents to the floor, wall or baluster. Just horizontaly extended. This brings me to my question: 

I would like the plank to extent for example 15 cm on each side of the start and begin point of the railing curve. For example if my curve is 100 cm, it will be extended like this: 15 cm + beginpoint 100 cm endpoint + 15 cm (SEE RED VISUALISATION ON IMAGE 2, original situation on image 1).

Thanks a lot.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous, I think what you are trying to achieve is only possible using top rail as this will give you the ability to modify the extension length of start and end. See attached.I have created a railing path length of 1m and adjusted my railing properties so it will extend 0.15m on both ends.

By the way, just curious as to why not create a railing path that extends based on your requirement? that is for the same example, just do a total path length of 1.3m?railing.jpg

If this resolves your issue, please click ACCEPT AS SOLUTION.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Hello sir, first of all thank you for your help. Second; I clearly forgot to mention an important part of my issue:

I'm working with dynamo to generate fall protection. The script I made will do the following:

Situation of a window:

1) It gets one of the horizontal curves of the window -> = curve of the railing

2) takes the corresponding level of the window (incl offset,.. ) -> = level where my railing will be placed

So: the curve of my railing will be the exact same length as the one of the window. 

I'm doing nothing manually and would like to generate everything automatically.

This is why I asked this question: wondering if I could set extents in the railing type itself.

As I read your answer, and as I was thinking, it will not be able to set extents of a railing (without balusters, handrail,..) in the railing type. Therefor; I need to make my curve longer on both sides I guess ..

Kind regards

Message 4 of 8
M_Perez

Why don't you extend them in Dynamo?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: M_Perez

Indeed, this is what I need to work on. But I'm not sure how to work this out, so that it will extend in two directions. I will try this in about a week and let you know. 

Message 6 of 8
ToanDN

Can you just build/ nest it into the window family?
Message 7 of 8
M_Perez

Have you tried curve.extendstart and curve.extendend? 

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: M_Perez

Easy! Thanks a lot!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report