Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Accidentally" moving a linked background.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1057 Views, 10 Replies

"Accidentally" moving a linked background.

We have an issue where we have certain users "accidentally" moving linked backgrounds with shared coordinates enabled.  The good news: it's an easy fix.  The bad news: it's not always noticed right away and forces some rework in the views/documentation.

I'm aware we could do a variety of things from pinning the files to locking their worksets.

My question: is there a way to determine who is doing it?   I assume we could search the journal files, but I'm not quite sure what text I should be searching for.  Simply searching for the linked file name doesn't really narrow it down enough.

Any thoughts?

(Also, if you have your own solutions to this issue, I'd be interested in hearing them.)

Thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
chrisplyler
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

My question: is there a way to determine who is doing it?

Some kind of midieval torture machine, perhaps?

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

Well, yes, I already have that.  I'd just rather not torture all the peasants until I happen the get the proper one.  I'm a righteous and just ruler.

Message 4 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

I don't know if there is a way to know who did it, because for that I guess you would need to know also when it happened. As an additional way of preventing the accidental movement, in Revit 2014 they added a little button to the lower right corner of the screen, which allows or disallow the selection of links.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo,

What's frustrating is that the journal files will tell me something has moved... but I can't thus far determine specifically what has moved.

I've been using the following program, which is great, but it's not giving me that vital piece of information.

http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com/2011/03/free-revit-journal-analysis-program.html

As far as "when" it happens, I can narrow that down considerably.  Our project teams can get quite large, so I can usually narrow it down to a few hour window between team members discovering it.  But since I can't determine "exactly" when it occured, I can't tell who is doing it by time.

Message 6 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

What if tell the users to activate that new feature to prevent the selection of links? Will that work?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Your suggestion is excellent, unfortunately we've reached a point where it's fairly obvious it's intentionally occuring. That's not the same as being malicious, which I have no reason to believe that it is. But we have some people that have reached a point where they are good enough to be dangerous and don't yet know how dangerous.

If we can determine it's a handful of people, then I have a good opportunity for a "learning moment".  I've done the group "come to Jesus" meeting not all that long ago. It helped a lot and really started some improvements, but you can't use those all the time and keep moral up.  So I'm looking for a more subtle, one on one approach, and that's much more my style anyway.  Most of the group understands the issue.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Unless I hear of a better tactic, we'll try placing these backgrounds/linked files on a Design Option next.  It basically automates the "don't select" feature/functionality.   But still, if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions, I'd love to hear any comments or words of wisdom.  Well, except medieval torture devices. I just found out our HR department frowns on us bringing them into the workplace. 😉

Message 9 of 11
chrisplyler

Torture the HR personel until they cave.

Message 10 of 11

@Alfredo_Medina would you please tell me what feature are you talking about? Thank you

Message 11 of 11

You can disable the selection of links. It's with the rest of your selection tools. Lower right corner of Revit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators