Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Base Point issue in coord

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3122 Views, 8 Replies

Project Base Point issue in coord

Hi community,

I want to get better in placing models on shared coordinates, did some research and prepared a internal document.

Now I started from 0 with information's that I have from a previous project and I want to use the workflow that Autodesk provides:

1. Specify the geographical location to indicate its actual location using global coordinates. 
  2. Define the Survey Point to match a known point in the physical world. 
  3. Rotate True North to define the Y axis of the topography point.
  4. Define the Project Base Point to establish a reference for measuring distances and positioning objects in the context of the model.   

Everything goes well until moving the Project Base Point to the new location. When I move it, the message appears:

Basically, I can't move the Project Base Point to the new location.

For the location I loaded a Point Cloud by shared Coordinates then unclip and write the coordinates to the Survey Point, I clipped it back after it moved to the desired location and give the Project Base Point the rotation to True North.

I think I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what.

Can you help me?

Thanks.

PS: I'm using Revit2020.2

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

It´s not necessary to move the Project Base Point. You are receiving that message because you are trying to move it more than the allowed distance. Leave it where it is. Its default location coincides with the internal origin of the model. What is the reason for moving it?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 9
ToanDN

There is no good reason to move project base point.

If you are working in a single model then move then use Relocate Project tool under Manage > Location menu.

If you are working with links, then the first 3 steps should be done in the location governing Site model, link the site model to building model(s), move it to the correct location, then Acquire Coordinates.
Message 4 of 9
barthbradley

Informative read attached...

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I create sheets with top, side and 3D views from the model also export to Navisworks and AutoCAD.

Many times I check  my work in the 3D view and when Survey and Project Base points are not in the same area it's frustrating zooming and finding the model.  I use a long line from one corner of the site to find in more easily.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

I use a federated model where I link AutoCAD's, point clouds, my own 3 to 5 links and usually one or two architecture links. Wouldn't be easier if I publish coordinates after the links are in the right place?

When I zoom to fit, instead of the hole image of the project I have a white scree where I have to zoom to my federated site.

Message 7 of 9
distroeZUZ6L

Hello Bogdan,

Have u tried to clip/unclip the Project Base Point?

Depends on the Revit variant PBP clip is available or not, in 2021 seems no longer is.

distroeZUZ6L_0-1616490124700.png

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: distroeZUZ6L

In Revit2019, I can unclip - write the coordinates and rotation and clip it after it moved.

In Revit2020 it's always unclipped and I can't move it more that 10 miles away from internal origin.

Maybe a more appropriate question would be:

How do I tell Revit that I need to model more than 20 miles away from it's origin without using a localized AutoCAD file?

Message 9 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

Leave the project base point at its default location. It will report the coordinates of a certain point, if you are using shared coordinates. The survey point will report 0,0. Therefore, the two points are far away from each other. That is fine. Just leave them like that. No need to move the project base point. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report