Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with sweeps

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
388 Views, 4 Replies

Problem with sweeps

Let's do a simple building form. Start with a 10 foot by 10 square square. Inscribe a circle inside the square. Raise the circle 10 feet. Loft a surface between the square and the circle. I know how to do that. The next part is where I need help. Let's do a horizontal sweep around this building form every one foot on center, starting at one foor above the base and stopping one foot below the top. The sweep is defined as a 2 inch diameter circle void, embedded halfway into the building surface. It is my understanding that a sweep is defined as consisting of a line, or path and a shape to be swept along that path. How do you define a path in a building form, where there are no lines in that form available to define the path?

Thanks, and I will look forward to hearing back.

Best regards,

Charles Traylor

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

I am not sure that I understood well what is exactly your problem, but if you need to make a sweep somewhere  you lack  support, you can make Model Lines on named Reference Plane and then use them as guides to the path of the sweep.

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
chrisplyler

You draw reference lines or model lines wherever you plan to create a sweep. You draw them on the surface of a form by first setting an appropriate face of the form or a reference plane as the current work plane, then draw your lines right on it.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

Hello Rudy,

Thanks for your response. I understand what you have stated about drawing the reference, or sweeps lines, directly on the surface of the object to receive the sweep. Drawing a reference line at the location of a reference plane, which intersects the surface of the object to receive the sweep is simple, when that surface is defined in, say, a series of flat horizontal of flat vertical planes or even inclined flat planes. Being able to fix that reference line on the locus of points, which defines the intersection of your suggested reference planes and the surface of the object to receive the sweeps, when the surface of that object is a warped geometry, if that can be done, requires skill sets I don't have. Being able to define the sweeps reference line on the surface of a warped object is the point of my inquiry. So, is it possible to do what I am describing, and if so can you explain to me how to do it? Thanks.

Best regards,

Charles Traylor

Message 5 of 5
constantin.stroescu

You can use a curved surface as base for a sweep if you use the option Follow Surface when you create your spline. The spline will be placed on the surface and turning it into a Reference Line ( if it wasn't made at the begining) it can be used as path for the sweep...

Image 2.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators