Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to use depth cueing for plans?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Marcus.Isacsson
21641 Views, 14 Replies

Possible to use depth cueing for plans?

Hi!

I wonder if it's somehow possible to use depth cueing for plans?
In this case I want the roof (blue in attached picture) to pop compared to the other objects placed below it.
would be neat if the objects further down could be a greyish color, showing that they're there but not really a part of the roof plan.

Depth cueing plans.PNG

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Sahay_R
in reply to: Marcus.Isacsson

You can use the Linework tool to grey out the lines that are not a part of the roof plan.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 15
ToanDN

Create a semi-transparent mass and place it at an elevation so that it obscures the lower part of your model.  Or simply a masking region set to some level of transparency.   It's better than Depth Cue since it still allows you to use Vector printing.

Message 4 of 15

Another option if its on a workset of its own, just set the workset to halftone in the view.

You could also do it with 2 views stacked on each other.  In the primary view set the depth just for the floor you are on, then in the 2nd view set the depth to unlimited and sset everything within to halftone.  Then stack the views on top of each other.  It can be a little frustrating to get the right view when editing though.

Message 5 of 15

What if you fix the view region? It seems to me that this "roof plan" is showing information that is not needed for the roof plan, information that should be already shown in other floor plans. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 15

@sgoodmansen wrote:

Another option if its on a workset of its own, just set the workset to halftone in the view.

You could also do it with 2 views stacked on each other.  In the primary view set the depth just for the floor you are on, then in the 2nd view set the depth to unlimited and sset everything within to halftone.  Then stack the views on top of each other.  It can be a little frustrating to get the right view when editing though.

I've used this "cheat" a couple of times before but it's not possible in this case since the roof is sloping one way pretty much which makes it hard to set the depth correctly (you will see more than just a flat roof in the view supposed to only show the roof)

Message 7 of 15

@Alfredo_Medina wrote:

What if you fix the view region? It seems to me that this "roof plan" is showing information that is not needed for the roof plan, information that should be already shown in other floor plans. 

Yes, how would you do it in a good way? 
Hide in place seems wrong, changing view depth in this case also gets weird with a one way sloping roof.
Hiding categories from a view template also feels wrong (will for example want to show a bunch of roof safety products later on).

Here's a picture showing the project for better understanding.

Roof bergsjön.PNG

Message 8 of 15
ToanDN

Looking at your building I think using workset approach as proposed by @sgoodmansen maybe the easiest.  Put the penthouse's elements in a Penthouse workset and create a View Filter using workset does not equal Penthouse criteria and set the Filter to Halftone.

Message 9 of 15
Marcus.Isacsson
in reply to: Sahay_R

@rsahayUZMK9 wrote:

You can use the Linework tool to grey out the lines that are not a part of the roof plan.

That would be alot of manual work, later on more objects will be visible as well.

Message 10 of 15
jair_gh

Have you tried using the View Range? You can set your View depth to the level below or unlimited. You would also have to modify the line styles changing Beyond to your preferred color. That way, anything below the bottom range of your View Range will have the color of the Beyond line.

01.JPG02.JPG

Message 11 of 15

Another possibility:

Assuming your roof is built on a higher level, your roof plan view range could be limited to just slightly below the bottom most bit of the roof. Then everything below could be shown by overlaying a lower level plan. Bingo, the lower stuff is shown with the overlay settings (default halftoned).

Message 12 of 15
manhuynh83
in reply to: jair_gh

Thanks Jair.

I bet your solution is the best.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

My boss uses the ground information to "ground the plan".  Basically, when you go from sheet to sheet you can quickly, visually acclimate your self to the plan because of the constant information below you.  Just that's an application for having the ground information.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: jair_gh

Mate absolute legend! My first job must have had this set up in there template. since then I could not for the life of my find out how to re set this up in my template...... i really should have googled this earlier. thank you.....

ps all the above suggestions makes you wonder how much time people spend on there projects! 

Message 15 of 15

You could use a the front or side in 3D view,  select everything what should be halftone , go  back to plan view with everything still selected ( you can also save the selection) and override "by element". Its pretty simple and works for me. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report