Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point cloud display in Revit views / pixel size / dot size

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
t.metcalf
7031 Views, 20 Replies

Point cloud display in Revit views / pixel size / dot size

Hello there,

Hopefully this is a very basic question. In Recap 360 there's an option to display the individual points of a point cloud at different "point display sizes" (from 1 up to 10).

This is very helpful for areas of scans which have less scan density / resolution.

We're hoping there's a similar option for displaying point clouds in Revit views? Currently all we've found under visibility graphics is the ability to change the color mode.

We typically bring in point clouds in RCP format, if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
alan.quinn
in reply to: t.metcalf

I understand you have a question about changing the display sizes of certain point in a Revit project. I'm not aware of any way of doing this currently in Revit. However, if you like you can submit any suggestion or Feedback directly to the development team via ideastation at the following link:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/a360-ideastation/idb-p/206/tab/most-recent

Perhaps this will change in the future. For now please let me know if you have any follow up questions or comments.

Thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 21
t.metcalf
in reply to: alan.quinn

Just to clarify: not trying to change the display size of a selection or subset of points. Want to change the display size of ALL the points. It seems Revit has no way of doing this.

Message 4 of 21
stevenwaupevon

I think your out of luck.
Recap has very limited abilities in revit.
This down to the rendering in revit. You can get the Leica cloudworxs which uses the cyclone system. This does have a better ability to change the color and intensity on the cloud but not the size of dots. But the method for visuals is to actually change the background to black so the points are more visible.
Stevenc
Message 5 of 21
mike.krellner

It would be very helpful to have a slider like in Recap to adjust the point size of the cloud for 3D scans.  In Recap it's under Point Display / Size.  

@t.metcalfwrote:

Hello there,

Hopefully this is a very basic question. In Recap 360 there's an option to display the individual points of a point cloud at different "point display sizes" (from 1 up to 10).

This is very helpful for areas of scans which have less scan density / resolution.

We're hoping there's a similar option for displaying point clouds in Revit views? Currently all we've found under visibility graphics is the ability to change the color mode.

We typically bring in point clouds in RCP format, if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance.

Message 6 of 21
RobertAGlover
in reply to: alan.quinn

This is a much needed feature. ReCap and Navisworks both have a fundamental setting to adjust the viewed size of points. This is pretty basic, and should be built into the software. When trying to model from a point cloud you need to zoom in and get accurate and it's hard to do that when the points are always just pin pricks no matter how much you zoom in.

I also think there needs to be another designation other than "Solved" for issues like this. This issue isn't solved; the "solution" is to submit it as a request? That isn't solved!! That is "S.O.L." or similar and this post should be marked as such, not resolved. Just my opinion.

Robert Glover
VDC Manager
Message 7 of 21
hlammerts
in reply to: RobertAGlover

Solved?

Message 8 of 21
RobDraw
in reply to: hlammerts

@hlammerts wrote:

Solved?

Around here, not being possible is a solution...

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 9 of 21
hlammerts
in reply to: RobDraw

Autodesk unable! Solved. You deserve some extra rankings.
Message 10 of 21
RobDraw

It's not me. It's just that it's the only option.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 11 of 21
WGAJohn

Silly that revit doesn't have any more control on point clouds 4 years later.  One not very useful workaround I've found is exporting images at a lower resolution.  The points look larger and blend together to look more 'solid'.

Message 12 of 21
jaakko_peltonen

Still missing option to have simple control of point aka dot size in revit

Message 13 of 21

Hi,

We have been waiting 7 years for this feature.

-Galen

Message 14 of 21
WGAJohn
in reply to: galen.anderson.09

...among many other features we've been begging for for decades...this is a simple UI toggle I've seen in every point cloud software I've used in the past 15+ years.

Message 15 of 21
RSomppi2
in reply to: WGAJohn

@WGAJohn wrote:

I've seen in every point cloud software I've used in the past 15+ years.

Revit is not a point cloud software.

Message 16 of 21
WGAJohn
in reply to: RSomppi2

Thank you Cpt Obvs... but the point still stands. Any software that works with point clouds in any capacity I have ever used has this function.

Message 17 of 21
RSomppi2

@WGAJohn wrote:

Thank you Cpt Obvs... but the point still stands. Any software that works with point clouds in any capacity I have ever used has this function.

Actually, the point doesn't still stand. Revit has never been the one and only program for everything. Other platforms are necessary as a part of the process. I suggest using the point cloud programs to optimize the clouds for use in Revit or used Revit's coloring options to make them easier on the eyes.

Or, you can wait for Autodesk to maybe make this an option.

Message 18 of 21
WGAJohn
in reply to: RSomppi2

I gave up waiting on Autodesk decades ago.  Not going to argue semantics.  It's blatantly obvious this would be a very useful option within Revit and likely fairly easy to implement.  

Message 19 of 21
RSomppi2

@WGAJohn wrote:

likely fairly easy to implement.  

This is very questionable, if not totally inaccurate.

Message 20 of 21
hlammerts

These places are crawling this real some real autodesk fans for life. It doesn't really get you anywhere further.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report