Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Visibilty in Hidden Line Visual Style

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Seychellian
2707 Views, 23 Replies

Pipe Visibilty in Hidden Line Visual Style

For council submitals I need to show drainage flow lines on all my floor plans and site plan.

These drawings also contain various other information and need to be displayed in "hidden line" visual style.

How can i show my drainage reticualtion  (which is under the ground) as, preferably, a single arrowed lines showing flow in a smart parametric way that isnt tracing over the pipes with drafting lines?

Thanks!

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
martijn_pater
in reply to: Seychellian

... try setting discipline to plumbing and detail level to medium.

edit: you could use view filters and color to differentiate and show sizes ie. ? Hope that helps.

edit2: I don't know the best/a parametric way to show flow direction really, from what I've found there's this workaround using pipe tags... But if you'd use a gradiënt of color with before mentioned view filters ie. you might be able to use that graphically.

Message 3 of 24

1-Set view Wireframe

2-Go to view>Show Hiddel lines, Slelect first the topography then the pipe.

3-Set the pipes as Coarse (VG)

Message 4 of 24
Seychellian
in reply to: martijn_pater

When i changed the discpline to plumbing half my model disappeared.....

Before.pngAfter.png

Message 5 of 24

@XXalessio.amodioXX wrote:

1-Set view Wireframe

2-Go to view>Show Hiddel lines, Slelect first the topography then the pipe.

3-Set the pipes as Coarse (VG)

I dont get it. The view cant be in wireframe. It will not be readable as a council submission drawing.

Message 6 of 24
martijn_pater

Interesting, seems to work in my model though... Another idea might be to overlay those two on your sheet...

edit: you could use hidden lines setting (from view properties that is), but it will also show construction elements below your floor etc... ofcourse you could make another view filter for those (to filter structural elements by level at or below your plan view level ie.).

Message 7 of 24

I was sort of doing something similar at the moment, below view filters gave me a nice enough result. for my purposes. Hope this works for you aswell, there's probably a better method out there though...

Piping view filtersPiping view filters

In combination with view set to hidden line, discipline architectural, show hidden lines all.

Message 8 of 24
barthbradley

@Seychellian wrote:

For council submitals I need to show drainage flow lines on all my floor plans and site plan.

What does piping have to do with drainage flow lines??? Nothing. Drainage flow  lines are simply arrows indicating the direction of surface runoff.    Generally, there is math involved and swales to design.  

Plot Plan.png

Message 9 of 24

@barthbradley "...drainage reticualtion [...] [method] that isnt tracing over the pipes [...]" Anyway, I don't have a better answer for you @Seychellian at this time, but perhaps bradley has something up his sleeves... often does anyway^^

Message 10 of 24

@martijn_pater: What are you trying to tell me?  

Message 11 of 24

@barthbradley ow, I took from OP's question he needs to show piping below groundlevel on his plans with flow direction in a better way instead of drawing on top of those using detail lines ie. So drainage flow lines might be something else strictly speaking as you put it, but I don't think that was the question. Could be mistaken though.

Message 12 of 24
ToanDN

- Create a different plan view, set the discipline to Plumbing, Coarse , Show the underground Piping only.
- VG and set Pipes line to Hidden
- Place Spot Slopes
- Place the View on the same Sheet as your main view

ToanDN_0-1595984347905.png

Message 13 of 24

Sh*t rolls down hill -- away from the home  -- regardless of the direction the drainage slope arrows are pointing on the Plot Plan. 😉

It Rolls Down Hill.png

It Rolls Down Hill2.png

Gravity rules.  

Message 14 of 24
Seychellian
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley wrote:

@Seychellian wrote:

What does piping have to do with drainage flow lines??? Nothing. Drainage flow  lines are simply arrows indicating the direction of surface runoff.    Generally, there is math involved and swales to design.  

Plot Plan.png

Seems like someone forgot to take his Tourettes Syndrome tablets this morning? 😆 Everyone else seems to get what im saying so im going to go ahead and presume that its you and not me. 

Message 15 of 24
Seychellian
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN wrote:

- Create a different plan view, set the discipline to Plumbing, Coarse , Show the underground Piping only.
- VG and set Pipes line to Hidden
- Place Spot Slopes
- Place the View on the same Sheet as your main view

They want to see the sewage and drainage information overlaid onto the master layouts like in the attached drawing.

2020-07-29 08_06_04-009j_3Birds_WD.100a._Layouts.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.png

Message 16 of 24
barthbradley

Don't think it's Tourette's. Maybe early onset dementia? Dunno. 

You're not by any chance doing a Septic System? 

Message 17 of 24

To use command Show Hidden lines you need to "See" the pipe.

Then ofc turn back hidden line visual graphic

Message 18 of 24
martijn_pater

@Seychellian wrote:

@ToanDN wrote:

Show the underground Piping only. [..] - Place the View on the same Sheet as your main view

They want to see the sewage and drainage information overlaid onto the master layouts like in the attached drawing.

I think the idea was to place the two views on top of each other on sheet. Using spot slopes is a good way to show direction ofcourse, shouldn't be that many to place. Another idea could be to export the above view to .dwg and re-insert/link it onto the original view, but then ofcourse it doesn't reflect changes automatically anymore.

Message 19 of 24
Seychellian
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley wrote:

Don't think it's Tourette's. Maybe early onset dementia? Dunno. 

You're not by any chance doing a Septic System? 

Im not pyschatirst but im seeing a lot of Tourettes with a smidgen of hystrionic PD.

I am doing a planning submission where they want to see  the schematic sewage and waste water disposal from the building (i.e sewage to septic tank and drainage to soakaways).

As it is schematic  I am reluctant to try to model a complex drainage system with falls etc just in order to be able to tag it and show the flow direction.

Is there an arrow line pattern that I can use to do it with linework? I have seen arrow line based detail family which is  not so attractive to me as it is difficult/impossible to do curved routes (as showsn below)

Arrowed Spline.png

Message 20 of 24
martijn_pater

@Seychellian tbh not sure what you're doing anymore, but starting to think it's easier to just draw it as detail lines/line-based annotations (with 45 degree angles etc.). 😅

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report