Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Path of Travel unable to treat door as obstacle

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
richard.schmitt.sg
2574 Views, 14 Replies

Path of Travel unable to treat door as obstacle

all categories should be obstacles with this settingall categories should be obstacles with this setting

I was testing workflows where we could set some doors (a door to a locked/secure area for example) to be considered obstacles by the Path of Travel tool.  The idea would be to set the door category as an obstacle, then hide any doors that are not to be considered obstacles.  The functionality of the Path of Travel tool implies it will route through the wall openings left by the hidden doors and treat the visible doors as obstacles.  In this screen capture you can see the settings as well as the path of travel line routing through a door that should have been considered an obstacle.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

also, shouldn't it treat that sofa as an obstacle?

Message 3 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: richard.schmitt.sg

I think the tool was released immature. Expect it to be fixed/refined in a service pack or even the next version.
Message 4 of 15

Analysis Zone in Plan Settings?  

...wait a minute! is there actually Model Geometry there to dodge? 

...I read that there must be at least 8" (20 cm) between obstacles. Maybe that's the issue.   

Message 5 of 15

path_of_travel_section.JPG

path_of_travel2.JPG

Good thought, I set the "Bottom" to the 550 of the level (also I assume that is a typo in the dialog should say "Bottom (below the view's level)" since the field refuses negative inputs) and got the same result

Message 6 of 15

if you do a Path from the upper left corner of the Room to the door, does it dodge the furniture?  

Message 7 of 15

path_of_travel3.JPG

Figured it out, the door family needs to have its 3D contents set to visible "When cut in Plan/RCP" for the path of travel to treat it as an obstacle, no 3D geometry in the view, not an obstacle

Message 8 of 15

@richard.schmitt.sg wrote:

Figured it out, the door family needs to have its 3D contents set to visible "When cut in Plan/RCP" for the path of travel to treat it as an obstacle, no 3D geometry in the view, not an obstacle

That's exactly where I was going went I asked if there was actual geometry.    

Message 9 of 15

@richard.schmitt.sg : FWIW, check out the different behavior I get by just toggling one checkbox in Route Analysis Settings.   All door shown here are OOTB. No modifications were made in the Families.  

POT1.pngPOT2.png

Message 10 of 15

Exactly, for the basic doors in your example, the "door" itself is a 3d object, its swing line is not. For both settings, the path of travel navigates through opening and the swing representation.  When doors are set to obstacles, it will avoid the open door geometry.  For the overhead door, the opening is impassible because its geometry is "shut".  The workflow for the problem of having things like secure doors or locked doors as obstacles is to set the door category to be an obstacle, then ensure your locked doors are closed and your egress doors are open.

Message 11 of 15

Not following you, @richard.schmitt.sg.  Are you saying that an "obstacle" is determined by the symbolic representation of a door swing?  

Both door families shown in my screenshots have solid geometry representing their door in a closed position.  This geometry is not visible in Plan/RCP.

Message 12 of 15

no, the obstacle has to be 3d, the orientation of that 3d geometry matters, because the regular door is "open" the path of travel can navigate through that door, on the overhead door, the geometry is "closed" and in your second image the path of travel does not navigate through it

Message 13 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: richard.schmitt.sg

I hope they will allow obstacle properties by instances, not categories.
Message 14 of 15
PhilvK
in reply to: ToanDN

Is there now a way to make a single item not an obstacle even if the group is considered an obstacle?

Message 15 of 15
Ryan_GormanKT36T
in reply to: PhilvK

So far it seems like the only way to make a single item an obstacle is by 

• Hide in View
  • Change its Family Category

These are good solutions but will not be possible in all situations. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators